We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on hiring a car in Canada versus train

England
Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on hiring a car in Canada versus train

I am going to Canada in May with 3 friends for 2 weeks. We are aiming to visit Toronto/Niagara, Montreal, Quebec and Ottowa. We read you can get soemthing called a Corridor Pass which gives you a 10 day train pass [I assume this is unlimited travel]. We are considering hiring a car instead though as would be so much easier and we don't have to stick to a timetable. The train pass would be £450 for the 3 of us, is it going to cost us more/a lot more to rent a car and for insurance and petrol etc? Any advice/experiences would be great.

Oakville, Ontario
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on hiring a car in Canada versus train

Just a heads up. While the public transit in Canadain cities is very good, the intercity train service insn't that great. Via has nice trains but they have to rent track space from the main frieght lines so the passanger service alwasy takes back seat to cargo.

If you can, try to put off making your decision until your here. You might be suprised what you can rent a Hyundai Accent for. Also, remeber that fuel is generally less than half the price than it is in Europe. Currently is about $0.80 per litre.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on hiring a car in Canada versus train

Many posters from the UK find car hire before coming to Canada cheaper so I would look into that.

Definitely recommend renting a vehicle since 3 of you will be sharing the cost, your luggage will be looked after, and best of all, you'll have complete freedom to go where you want when you want.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on hiring a car in Canada versus train

I agree with the previous posters. I've travelled by train and car to all the cities you've mentioned. With 4 people visiting Niagara, Montreal, Quebec, and Ottawa a car makes more sense.