We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving with dogs to PEI

toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
driving with dogs to PEI

So we have decided to drive from Toronto to PEI end of June to spend a month there. Anyone done this before with 2 retrievers? Thankfully no kids anymore. Where did you stay along the way, how long did it take, where did you stop, etc. These dogs are young and need exercise to knock them out, as in off-leash and a swim. They are good travellers (we hope) Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Brantford, Ontario...
Level Contributor
113 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving with dogs to PEI

We are planning on driving this summer with our dog, also leaving from the Toronto area. We will be driving through the U.S. We are staying at the Fairbanks Inn in St. Johnsbury, Vermont on the way down - pet friendly with an area to run. On the way home, we are staying at the Fireside Inn and Suites in Bangor, Maine. We've been advised by a trucker that it's quicker to head down the I95 toward Boston and back up, so we'll also be staying at the Red Roof Inn in Utica, NY on the way home. Both of these are pet friendly. You can get a book at CAA that lists pet friendly hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving with dogs to PEI

well I would never have explored the possibility of heading thru the States. Thank you! How far will you drive each day, distance and hours if you can provide this. Can it be done in 2 days? thx. liz

Brantford, Ontario...
Level Contributor
113 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving with dogs to PEI

This route was recommended to us by CAA (many people go one way on the TransCanada and come back through the U.S. for variety - the U.S. way looks shorter by about one-two hours, but with border waits, it will probably work out to the same). Gas is lots cheaper though! And I hear that the TransCanada is not a very exciting drive.

So... we will be crossing the border at Buffalo and taking I90 through New York. You then take #2 and #9 through Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine and then cross into New Brunwick. We are going to drive to St. Johnsbury, Vermont the first day - 9.5 hours of driving without stops. We are driving to St. Andrews, New Brunswick the 2nd day - about another 6 hours. This is our first real stop on our trip and we'll be there for three days. Then on through New Brusnwick, Nova Scotia, and back up to P.E.I. before returning home.

Apparently the #2 is only a two lane highway and a bit windy. My father-in-law is a trucker and he says, although it looks longer, there is another U.S. route that is faster. We are going to try it on the way home. We will be leaving from P.E.I., heading through New Brunswick, and taking #9 to Bangor, Maine on the first day(6.5 hours). The second day we'll head down I95 to Boston, Massachusetts and then the I90 back up through New York State to Utica (8 hours). It will then be another 6.5 hours home on the third day - we're taking three days because I want to stop and do some shopping. My father-in-law says this way is much faster because it's a major highway. I like have two different ways to go for different scenery on such a long trip. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Saint Andrews
Saint Andrews
New Brunswick, Canada
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Charlottetown, PE
Level Contributor
319 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving with dogs to PEI

If you are thinking about the US route, please make sure that you have all of the documenetation necessary to get the dogs across the border - vaccination records, etc.

5. Re: driving with dogs to PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 17, 2009