We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Hi everyone:

I was hoping someone could give me some advice/suggestions for this. Two adults would like to go bike riding on Prince Edward Island's Confederate Trail in September (hoping weather will be good of course). We will be arriving on a cruise ship for the day and will be in port from 8 am to 4 pm. Where would be a good, reasonable place to rent bikes and would it be best to reserve the bicycles in advance? Also, I was looking at the Confederation Trail and it looks like there are many segments/legs of the trail. Which one would be the most scenic keeping in mind this will be around the fall colors time of year. Thank you so much in advance.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Confederation Trail is the old railway line that used to run on the island, but if you only have one day and are arriving in Charlottetown on a cruise ship and have no other means of transportation for you and your bikes, I don't think you really have any option other than renting in Charlottetown and doing part of the trail from Ch'town, or signing up for a bike tour or shuttle with one of the Ch'town companies.

The PEI Tourism website lists three bike rental agencies in Charlottetown:

…tourismpei.com/search/…

... and this one is on the waterfront, and adjacent to Confederation Trail, and also offers a shuttle service:

http://www.gowheelinpei.com/bike_rentals.php

California
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Thank you KRP329 for the great information, links and overall response. I hope the weather will be nice for us to do a bike ride that day. I was wanting to bike ride on our own but I did see that some of the bike tours go to the fishing village of North Rustico. Is this worth a stop? I did google it and it looks like it would be quite a distance from Charlottetown round trip.

Edited: 2:17 pm, July 17, 2012
Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Rustico is almost a half hour from Charlottetown by car. I think KRP's comments were spot on as you will be limited to the Charlottetown area and I wouldn't try and bite off too much. I think it is a common misconception of people visiting PEI that we are a very small Island. We are that no doubt when you compare us to the UK or Japan but we're not so small everything can be done in a day. I can't tell you how many people assume you could walk PEI in a day. Stick to trails around Charlottetown and also spend a little time around the city as you will see some great architecture and maybe a stop for lunch at a restaurant. Part of the reason I never take cruises is the limitations on time.

California
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Thank you nramsay8. I think we will just stay around Charlottetown then with our time limitations if we end up going on our own. It sounds like these bike tours shuttle everyone to Rustico so of course that saves half the distance on riding. If we opted to do a tour vs going on our own, is Rustico worth a visit in your opinion or is the scenery just as nice around Charlottetown?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

Rustico is a nice little fishing village but aside from that there is little else to see and do in my opinion. There are some beautiful stretches of the trail in and around Charlottetown. Personally I wouldn't go any further than the West Royalty area(outskirts of Charlottetown and some very nice scenic areas). You could do a nice ride from the waterfront to West Royalty and back in a reasonable amount of time. The good thing about West Royalty(where I lived my whole childhood so maybe I am a bit biased)is that it is close enough to town but still far enough away that you get a less crowded and country feel. I personally run and bike on a regular basis all around there still and would be happy to give you more details if need be. Just send me a PM. Cheers.

6. Re: Bike Riding on Confederate trail need help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Charlottetown