We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cranbrook, BC
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

I'm from BC and will be flying to Charottetown for a conference in early June. While I'd like to spend a little time enjoying the island, I have a son who lives in Gaspe PQ and would love to combine my first time in Atlantic Canada with a visit to him, and a chance to see some East Coast scenery.

The cost of renting a car and travelling one way from Charlottetown to Gaspe is prohibitive (over $1300) (more that it will cost me to fly to and from BC)

Is there bus service from Charlottetown to Quebec? I've tried looking at Greyhound's website but can't get any confirmation that there is actually bus service between any two places on my probable route.

Any info would be much appreciated.

V_from_BC

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

How about the VIA train, at least for part of the way? You'd have to take a bus to Moncton. Check out www.viarail.ca

Halifax, NS Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

VIA Rail has cut its passenger service on the Gaspe corridor to two days per week and I have heard rumours that they are going to be dropping that route entirely.

To get to Gaspe from Charlottetown by bus is relatively easy but you will have to change carriers in Campbellton, NB. From Charlottetown you take Acadian Lines (http://www.smtbus.com/en/index.asp) and at Campbellton you switch over to L'Orleans (http://www.orleansexpress.com/Search.aspx ). Bear in mind that it will be around an 18 hour trip from Charlottetown to Gaspe including transfers so you may wish to consider staying in Campbellton overnight, or getting your son to meet you there. It's about a 5 hour trip by car from Campbellton to Gaspe.

Cranbrook, BC
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

Thank you for the information

Laval, Qc
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

You can also take a bus (Acadian) from Charlottetown to Campbellton, New Brunswick, and the Orleans Express bus company from Campbellton to Gaspe. It should be less expensive than by train.

Milwaukee,WI.
Level Contributor
414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

I would take East Connect shuttle ,they have website,from Charlottetown to the port city Souris,QC where you take a 5 hour ferry to Isles de Madeleine 65ca for van shuttle then 44ca ferry name is CMTA,they have website,then one hour flight for 120 on Air Canada,.You may have to overnite in Isles de la Madeleine Island.I am doing this in reverse in July ,but book ahead.

6. Re: Need to get from Charlottetown to Gaspe in June suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Charlottetown