We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to PEI - first time!

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to PEI - first time!

Hi

I'm really looking forward to my first (and long awaited) visit to PEI next Easter in March and am hoping the island won't be covered in snow at that time!

Am also wondering in terms of my itinerary what's the best way to get there?

I will be coming from New York either via Toronto or Montreal - not sure which is the cheapest/fastest route to take and if flights really are the best way to get around Canada. Is 3 days enough to cover all the Anne hotspots given the time of year?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

I don't want to sound negative here, in fact I am sure someone else from the island will correct me...I am from Montreal and my husband and I were in PEI last April 2007. It seemed to me that most tourist spots were closed, things like Anne house, museum, etc...I think most of Cavendish was closed...But Charlottetown had many places open of course, the art museum, Province House, many churches, great restaurants...We were there on Easter too and we got stuck in a snow storm, the hotel employees had to sleep at the hotel after their shift ended, they could not go home!

Maybe you should consider cross-country skiing...That's something I always thought would be fun to do on the Confederation Trail!

We usually fly when we go for 3 or 4 days. I would assume Toronto has more direct flights and maybe cheaper fares. We usually pay $129 one way from Montreal to Charlottetown direct flight, and I have paid on occasion as low as $99 one way when there is a special. I don't know about Toronto. It takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to fly from Montreal if I remember correctly.

It will be a nice trip, no matter what the weather is like. But it is better to think that you will get snow, rain, cold, etc...prepare yourself mentally. This way, if you get nice sunny springlike weather, you will feel very lucky!

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
336 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

PEI will definately be covered in snow in March /April and yes a lot of things will be closed. We just returned from our second trip there and we arrived just after Labor Day and found a lot of things already closed till June. The locals informed us this year that there was no spring in PEI..they went from winter to summer and that wasnt untill late May..so expect snow and cold if you go in March. You would definately enjoy your trip a lot more if you postponed till June. We are from the Toronto area and found the temperature in PEI to be at least 15 degrees F cooler than what we have at this time of year.

london
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

Thanks for the comments - Easter 08 isn't really sounding like an ideal time to visit PEI at all!!

Will rethink our options - hopefully the rest of the east won't be too cold.......

PEI
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

The above posters are right....I live here in Cavendish and it's usually cold with some snow in March, and there's not much open in the way of touristy things around here. There's still lots to see in Charlottetown, but if you have your heart set on Anne hot spots you're better off coming during the summer season.

And the rest of eastern Canada is cold in March too, if that's what you're referring to.

Fredericton, NB
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

I live in NB and have visited PEI many times. Count on snow if you come in March. PEI is beautiful in the summer and that's when the Anne attractions are open. Those touristy things close after Labour Day in September. We usually visit PEI in August when some of the summer rush has calmed down and we love it! We try to go every year!

If you're looking for summery weather in your visit to Eastern Canada - wait until June to be sure.

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

My husband and I went to PEI during the middle of September and we found there were many things still open, including all the Anne hot spots. Most of the restaurants were still open as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

How is the weather/hotspots in October? We are on a cruise that stops in Charlottetown on 10/11 and a some of our group would like to golf. Is mid-October normally OK for golfing?

montreal
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

VicKen, in October, if you're lucky, you can get beautiful warm days that feel like June or if you're not so lucky, it is raining and feels like April...It's a mix, a bit like New England I guess...

9. Re: Travel to PEI - first time!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 13, 2009