We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

Hello, a group of ladies will be traveling to PEI in either end of Sept or Mid Oct (10/15/2007) for our very first trip. After calling a few charming inns and was told they are closed in Oct. We wonder if Mid Oct is not a good time to visit PEI. We chose mid Oct hoping to see fall colors. But after reading most posts, all visitors go to PEI for the beach and greens. We are worried if the PEI will be deserted and too cold by Mid Oct.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

Hi CA!

Do it! In mid-October, you'll see the best of the fall colors in Prince Edward Island.

You're right that most visitors come to Prince Edward Island to swim or golf. Since I don't like either, I think the shoulder season of late September and early October is fine for visiting.

Lots of hotels and some motels are open. Keep trying, and you should find a B&B. A lot of tourist establishments have little choice but to close. There just is not the critical mass of paying customers to justify the costs of staffing and utilities after mid-September. Some do stay open, with their competitors closed, though.

It's not too cold, provided you don't come expecting California warmth. By day, in mid-October, a normal afternoon gets up to 60 F, while at night there just may be frost. Most nights, the mercury stays above freezing in October. Snow would be a once-in-50-years occurrance, and there will be absolutely no ice on ponds or roads. October is the season when there are lots of crisp clear days. (September is even more so.)

The red leaves will be at their best in the second week of October. By the third week the reds have fallen, but the yellows and oranges are in their glory. The leaves will have fallen by November, except for some oaks and the tamarack, a conifer that sheds its yellow needles in November.

I love the vistas in PEI. Over much of the Island, the woods have been cut back along the roads to plant crops, but the trees grow in stands called woodlots well back from the road. I's pleasing to the eye because you get to see expansive views punctuated by colorful trees.

Don't be put off by beach and camping enthusiasts who grumble when the mercury drops below 75 degrees. October is a glorious time in Prince Edward Island, when you'll see the finest natural things without the inconvenience of finding all the accommodations booked up before you arrive.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

David,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

I found a cottage with very good review on tripadvisor. The cottage is located in Cavendish. We are wondering if we should stay there for all 4 nights or we should split 2 nights in Cavendish and 2 nights in Charlottetown or Summerside. I don't know 4 nights in Cavendish are too much.

Thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

My sister and I visited PEI one year in mid-October, and had a great time touring around. (We stay at a family cottage so did not have to worry about accommodation. I have been many, many times in July and August, but never any other time.) The weather was great, there were no mosquitoes, and no tourists either. And, hardly any traffic! However, we also found that the seasonal restaurants, small museums, craft shops etc. were all closed, especially in the smaller towns (that didn't matter to us, we were just enjoying the drive, the scenery, and we stopped & enjoyed a walk on the beach at Cape Kildare and walked around a few cemeteries (my sister does genealogy). But outside of the larger towns, we did have a hard time finding anything open when we got hungry. I wouldn't hestitate to go back again in mid-October - but for a day of touring around out of the bigger centres, I would pack my own picnic, water etc.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

Hi CA!

That's a matter of travel style, isn't it.

My preference is always to see someplace different each night. Others think it's too much trouble packing and unpacking.

I would be reluctant to spend all of my nights in Cavendish. Let me offer this: In October, the true attraction of Prince Edward Island is the natural scenery. I'd want a change of venue from night to night, in preference to the same view each morning. If you tied yourself down to Cavendish, even though it's centrally located, you'd be more reluctant to get to the more remote corners of the island. For instance:

Tyne Valley, 25 miles NW of Summerside. It's just an unspoiled little country village on a small stream. Nearby is Green Park. The way to them is a pleasant rural drive on paved but scenic country roads. I don't think I'd have made a special trip just to get there, but after I did the memories of the pastoral location stick in my mind.

Murray River, at the southeast end of the island is like that. It doesn't usually make the list of places where the duffers and divers go, but I remember it happily when I stopped and wandered in the village.

Prince Edward Island is dotted with such places, that you probably wouldn't reach if you only did day trips from Cavendish. But even if you did, remember, the whole island is only 170 miles long from North Cape to East Point. At Cavendish, that puts you not more than 2 1/2 hours from any given place on PEI.

Some people like to settle in. I like to explore. Only you can decide which is better for you!

David

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

Just let me add briefly to what my friend from Jasper said:

It's absolutely true that a great many of the smaller season operations, especially in rural areas, close after mid-September. But even in mid-winter, when I've been there, the island population of 135,000 still goes about their business. (Except for the ones that take off to Florida.) Especially in Charlottetown and Summerside, the hotels and many of the restaurants stay open. Naturally, so do the gas stations, convenience stores and businesses that cater to the locals, island-wide. Selection is limited in the off-season, but it's not like a ghost town.

David

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

Hello, thank you all for the reply. It helps me a lot.

7. Re: Is Mid October still OK to visit PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Charlottetown