We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

We want to eat, play on the beach, hike and bike... We would actually like to avoid the usual "family-friendly" places. We were thinking East (too remote?), but maybe the Red Sands area (too crowded?) Our girls are also foodies, and we all love the outdoors. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,920 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

Google "Auchinleck Farm Cottages" - this is a wonderful beach, with miles of sand and warm, generally calm water. My fondest memories of being the age of your kids was our summertime visits to that area to visit family. (We have a family cottage nearby.) I still go there (but sadly not this summer) and I keep a bike there - there are lots of quiet dirt roads to cycle. (You could cycle the MacCallum's Point road to the Indian Head lighthouse view, and over to Fernwood to see the Seacow Head lighthouse, and could also cycle to the Village Store in Bedeque for ice cream.)

It's not too far from Summerside and town amenities (15 - 20 minutes' drive), about 45 minutes from Charlottetown ... fairly centrally located on the island, so it's a good base for touring.

PEI is not really a hiking destination, but if you want to do some walking, check out Confederation Trail. Various bits of it are not far away. It's also great for biking, but probably too far from the cottage for kids and you probably won't have any way to transport bikes, unless you are bringing your own car. (I believe some of the rental places will deliver bikes if you are renting for a week or at least several days - but I wound up buying my own at an end-of-summer clear-out since I am a repeat visitor and that has wound up being cheaper for me, rather than renting each time I go.)

The Salutation Cove beach itself (the one the cottages I recommended is on) is a good long walk at low tide - the sand bars go for about 3 or 4 kilometres. There is also a short walk you can do at the west side of Summerside although I forget what it is called... there's been a boardwalk and paths built.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

I recommend Cow's Creamery for Canada's best ice cream....there is a factory tour on the outskirts of C-Town if that tweaks your interests....

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

A couple more items which will help with advice:

- How long will you be on the island?

- Do you prefer a more urban or serene setting?

- What month?

- Budget?

Not knowing any of these, my suggestion is too use the PEI tourism site and/or call for a free PEI travel planning magazine (hardcopy version of the website) and decide the things you want to do. Then you can plan your accomodations around those activities. We have a cottage in the East and enjoy it, but if you want to eat in Charlottetown every night than you should be more central. From a central point you can get to most anywhere in a couple of hours. If you are east or west, you won't really want to go cross island to see the other side more than 1 possible long day.

http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3

A few activities I'll suggest

Horseback riding on the beach (Lakeside or Brudenell)

Kayaking tour or rentals (multiple spots)

Deep Sea Fishing (multiple spots)

Harness racing (Charlottetown or Summerside are main venues - other smaller ones)

One other thing. When planning your days, don't give yourself a strict timetable. PEI is best enjoyed at a slower pace, allow time for conversations with locals, a spontaneous stop......in other words, stop and smell the salt air. :)

Fishers, IN
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

We love the east end. The Confederation Trail at St. Peter's is very scenic and nice for bike riding. You can (at least you used to be able to) rent bikes there. The Greenwich Natl Park is close by with a walking trail out to the beach.

We have rented houses from here before, all on the east side. http://beachhousespei.com/beach_houses.html

5. Re: First trip to PEI: 40's couple with older children (10&12)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2015