We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

Manitoba
Level Contributor
521 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

We have just booked a 10 day trip to PEI on Aug 21-31, 2014! Have rented a cottage at North Rustico for 7 days and will have 3 extra days in Charlottetown. Super excited! We are a married couple in our late 40s who enjoy food, wine, music,sun, beach, hiking and sight seeing. Any ideas for restaurants, winery tours, local suppers, live entertainment/house bands, driving routes, hiking trails... that stood out for you and made your trip?! Also, where should we stay in Charlottetown? Great George or B&b? Lots of questions for sure...Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

I would go to Cow's Creamery for a tour in Charlottetown, Canada's best ice cream!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,664 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

The official PEI tourism website has tons of info that will help you, including an event calendar that will have all the ceilidhs and other events. As far as I know, there is only one winery on the island (Rosignol) and I am not sure if they do tours. On the tourism website, they have divided up the island into zones, and each zone has a named scenic driving route etc. For hiking or biking, check out "Confederation Trail". (Personally, I love biking the country roads.) For lobster suppers, there are two put on by churches - New Glasgow, and St. Ann's... both have websites. These are not your traditional church supper, though; they are very much commercial enterprises by the two churches, but both have been going on for 40 or 50 years and you are supporting the local parishes, local employment etc. For more performances, check out Confederation Centre in Ch'town - home of the long-running "Anne of Green Gables" musical, and also check out the Indian River Music Festival, which has performances all summer long, held in a former church that has AMAZING acoustics. If you are interested in history, Province House National Historic Site in Ch'town is a must-see, and there are various "AoGG" sites around the island: Green Gables itself, the LMM birthplace in New London, a restored schoolhouse in Lower Bedeque (between Summerside and Borden) where LMM taught for a year, etc.

3. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:10 am, February 13, 2014
Manitoba
Level Contributor
521 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

Thanks for the info!

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

The boardwalk at Greenwich in PEI National park on the north shore is amazing! Basin Head beach is a must. We have just rented a cottage adjacent to that beach for the last week in June. I love the East shore! We have eaten at Windows on the Water in Montague, Ricks Fish & Chips in St Peters, the Inn at Bay Fortune, at Bay Fortune, and Dalvay by the Sea on the North Shore. They are wonderful places to eat. As was mentioned above, the tourism website has a wealth of info, and I used it a lot for our first 2 trips...you will love it!!!

Manitoba
Level Contributor
521 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

Thanks luvthesunalways! Great info! Thankyou for the restaurant suggestions. Will be sure to drive to basin head and I had read up on The National park. Plan on driving all the way around the East coast.The tourism site is great! The scenery looks so very different than Manitoba! Cant wait to see it for myself! My husband thinks it looks so barren there so Im hoping the sea behind will blow him away like everyone says it will.

KRP, I checked into the websites for the lobster suppers, just what I was looking for! Thanks

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
461 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

Here are a couple of more great research resourses:

http://www.pointseastcoastaldrive.com/ (you are a little more central than east but I expect that you will be visiting the east - it's not that big of an island)

http://www.buzzon.com/ (island wide activities - when you are on the island pick up a free hard copy of the monthly Buzz newspaper to see all your options)

As for restaurants - in Souris (close to Basin Head - Singing Sands beach) is 21 Breakwater.......Very Good!

Some other things that may interest you: Brackley Drive-In theater, kayak rentals/tours, Horseback riding on the beach with Circle-T in Lakeside, Harness racing in Charlottetown.

As for accomodations in Charlottetown I can't help, we have a cottage in Launching (Eastern area) and therefore haven't stayed in Charlottetown in a long time.

If you look at some of my past PEI posts you might find some more suggestions as this is a somewhat common question. :)

Your age and interests sound similar to ours......we love it there......I suspect you will also!

Manitoba
Level Contributor
521 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

Thankyou for the links GoesWithDogs!

ps, we have Golden retrievers as well! Lol

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,664 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

My pic is a golden too. ;-)

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
461 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for our first trip to PEI please!!!

Actually the Berner is ours and the Golden is a friends who we see quite regularly. They are like brothers, ours is 9, the Golden will turn 9 next month.

Back to your trip, in case we share some other interests:

There are a couple of micro-breweries in Charlottetown.

A couple of distilleries in the Northeast corner,

A couple of wineries in the Southeast corner.

Or so I've been told ;)