We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anne of Green Gables

yuba city, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Anne of Green Gables

My fiance surprised me with a trip to PEI for our honeymoon to do all things Anne in mid October. I realize some places are closed, but wanted to know if any locals have tips? I've been researching this place since I was a child so I am beyond excited. We're staying in Charlottetown, North Rustico, and Kensington while there. We plan on visiting heritage place and the museum. Are there any other must see places or tips?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anne of Green Gables

There is not much open on Sundays on the island, period. I'd plan for not much at night as well, unless in Charlottetown where there is a bit of nightlife....

yuba city, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anne of Green Gables

Thank you! Coincidentally, we are staying in Charlottetown on Sunday because we have an early flight back home the next day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anne of Green Gables

No problem!

Quebec City
Level Contributor
601 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anne of Green Gables

Since you mention only two spots, I thought I'd copy/paste info I wrote a while ago to someone else looking for Anne-related spots. I don't know what are the opening times of any of these in the fall, though, I've only ever been in the summertime.

Anne/LM Montgomery spots are (in my personal preferred order):

1- Green Gables House in Cavendish - The house which "inspired" the book. Actually, I've been often enough that I don't like it as much as in the early 90s, it's changed quite a lot, but it is still a must-do for all Anne-fans.

2- Anne of Green Gables Museum in Park Corner - Where L.M. Montgomery was married, spent a lot of time with her cousins there, was the basis for "Silver Bush" from her novels "Pat of Silver Bush" and "Mistress Pat".

3- Montgomery Homestead in Cavendish - This is where L.M. Montgomery grew up. The house is no longer there, but on a lovely PEI day, the grounds are beautiful. This is where she wrote her first four novels (including of course Anne of Green Gables)

4-L.M. Montgomery birthplace in New London - Where she was born. She did not stay there very long, after her mother died, her father moved West and she was sent to live with her grandparents at the Homestead (#3)

5- Lower Bedeque School - Very interesting old schoolhouse where L.M. Montgomery taught. It has been restored as a museum, and it's very nice

6- Bideford Parsonage - L. M. Montgomery lived here for a year while she was teaching nearby. the Parsonage has been saved and restored by the community as a museum of life in the area in the late 19th century. Extremely interesting, even apart from the Montgomery connection

Unless visiting with young children, I would not recommend the Avonlea village. It is really just a "fake" spot, with some entertainment and activities for children. I don't want to say it's not a fine place, but it is really more family/children oriented, and none of the buildings are historic, whereas the other locations I've mentionned are all truly historic sites.

Have a good time in PEI!

yuba city, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anne of Green Gables

Thank you for all the detailed information!!! I am definitely adding a few places to our itinerary, provided that they are open! :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anne of Green Gables

My first trip to the Island was late Sept/early Oct, and I can tell you that while a LOT will be closed, you can still have a wonderful trip. You just need to gauge your expectations accordingly. It's very true that you won't find much in terms of nightlife outside of Charlottetown, but the Island isn't really a nightlife destination anyway. The beaches will still be lovely. At the very least Green Gables/LMM homestead will both be open, and just exploring those two places, along with the surrounding properties (and Maud's grave) can easily take a day. Anne and Gilbert the musical is WONDERFUL, but it closes Oct 13, I believe, so I'm not sure you'll make it in time. If you do, make sure you see it! Once you're there, ask your innkeepers about any local musicians that may be playing while you're there. We've seen a few locals bands playing in town hall type settings, which gives you a really nice flavor of the Island.

North Rustico is one of the bigger towns in Anne's Land, so at the very least you'll be able to find some open restaurants and stores. We stay in Cavendish where things really aren't open in the off season, and when I realized that I forgot a toothbrush, I had to drive over to North Rustico to get one!

Anne is a huge draw (it's what inspired me to start going), but the depth of the Island extends far beyond that. Just doing the scenic drives, walking along the beaches, and taking the time to talk to the locals will give you huge insight into LMM and "Anne".

It really is the most perfect place in the world. You will have a wonderful time.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anne of Green Gables

I can tell you that the Lower Bedeque school house won't be open in October. They usually staff it through the summer with a student, but if I recall correctly, it closes Labour Day weekend. I'll be there then and since I have to drive by the schoolhouse to get to and from my family's cottage, I will try to remember to report back afterwards.

I've only been to PEI once not in summer season (in mid-October, that particular time), and was quite struck by how few things were open.

yuba city, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anne of Green Gables

That is very kind of you KRP329 and much appreciated. Thank you!!

Edited: 9:09 pm, July 10, 2013
yuba city, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anne of Green Gables

Thank you so much Fferffee! I am so taken back how helpful everyone has been on these forums.

I really wanted to see the play, but it does end the week before we visit! I guess that means I'll need to plan a second trip sometime in the future :)

I will definitely check out the beaches! I don't plan on taking a dip in the ocean, but was concerned it would be too cold to explore. Im glad you were able to still enjoy it during that time so it puts my mind a little at ease.

Edited: 9:15 pm, July 10, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anne of Green Gables

The weather that type of year is typical northeast fall. I'd plan on bringing a fleece type jacket and jeans. It will definitely get chilly at night. I believe I mostly wore shorts with a sweatshirt during that fall trip, but I was there several weeks earlier than you were and I'm from New England. It'll likely be crisp, but definitely not so cold that you can't enjoy yourself.

If you haven't already, you should call Tourism PEI. The main guidebook that they'll send you may be of limited use since so much will be closed, but they will also send you some specialized materials. about places that you may be particularly interested in visiting. I'd request a Charlottetown guide since you'll definitely find the most available there in the off season and a Cavendish/Dune Shores one so that you can try to see what sorts of things will be open. Most importantly, though, is getting the Island map. It has the scenic drives routed out and is invaluable for touring. Even if you have a GPS, this will allow you to identify which points on the scenic routes you want to see most and how they connect to other things you may want to do.

Also, I believe that Green Gables has new off season hours. I don't believe it will be open on Sundays or Mondays in Oct.

Edited: 10:49 pm, July 10, 2013