We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nine days in Canada.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Nine days in Canada.

My husband and I are travelling to Toronto in July 2013 to visit my Aunt. We only have 9 days in Canada, but as part of my trip, I desperately want to visit PEI - as a great fan of the Ann books, it's on my bucket list! Is it feasible to perhaps drive to PEI from Toronto, ensuring we see some of the country along the way, and perhaps fly back to Toronto at the end of the trip?

All advice gratefully received.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nine days in Canada.

With only 9 days you would be hard pressed to make it a driving trip. Driving straight through, from Toronto to PEI - NO stops - takes 21 hours. So realistically you need a minimum of 2 days driving. As well - you can incur large drop off fees for renting a car in one city and dropping in another.

You'd be better off flying from Toronto to either PEI, or to Halifax and renting a car to drive to PEI. Check Porter Airlines for affordable fares from downtown Toronto to Halifax. Or Air Canada flies to PEI.

You could also fly into Toronto and then leave for home from Halifax.

Edited: 9:57 am, November 26, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Thanks very much for this advice. We don't mind the long drive, but we do want to have time to enjoy what Canada has to offer as well! Will check out Porters for fares.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Welcome to the forum moonbeam ~

The #1 drawback would be the one way drop fee as phpr mentions. Even a one way rental from PEI to Halifax would incur a surcharge.

How many nights are you going to spend visiting your aunt in Toronto? Perhaps outside that visit, you might have 4-5 nights to spend on PEI?

Read the questions being asked on this forum and replies being given. You will find doing that a good resource for suggestions on where to stay and what to see/do in a short time.

If you fly, visiting PEI will be perfectly doable and IMO, perfect, because PEI is a special place.

BTW, that's "Anne with an 'e'." :-))

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Though phpr's numbers are off on the drive, you could get there in 18-19 hours, with only two drivers, you'd be hard pressed, it's a two day jaunt for sure.....if you really want to see Green Gables, flying is your best option.....

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Gosh ... off by two hours ... but perhaps not depending on the traffic in Montreal ... the point being that it's unrealistic to combine a trip to Toronto and PEI by vehicle in 9 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Thank you all for your advice. I've now booked flights with Porter Airlines, accomodation for a few nights and car hire from Moncton airport. Now just have to look forward to the trip!

Can't believe I left the 'e' off Anne!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Porter gets recommended a lot around here... unfortunately, even when it's not the best fit for your travel needs.

Air Canada flies non-stop to Charlottetown from Toronto; round-trip costs $361 for mid-week July dates. Porter has to make a stop in Ottawa on their way to Moncton, making the trip an hour longer than the flight to PEI, and a round-trip on the same dates costs $382.

Mostly I'm putting the info here for future reference. You'll get to see a little more of the country with your refueling stop in Ottawa and the drive from Moncton, and the extra cost is minor. However, Porter does offer full refunds within 24 hours of booking (though I believe you have to call them).

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nine days in Canada.

There are other Lucy Maud Montgomery sites that you can visit while you are in PEI. In New London, there is a musem in the home where she was born. and at Lower Bedeque (a hamlet between Borden, where Confederation Bridge, the bridge to the mainland is, and Summerside), there is a schoolhouse where she taught for a year or two that is open as a small museum. Both are central-ish in PEI and getting around those areas is lovely driving and will give you a taste of the beautiful countryside. I'm sure you'll find information about them both on the official PEI tourism website.

BTW, not that this will help you since you have already booked your flights, but for the next person, WestJet also flies to PEI.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nine days in Canada.

I'll have a look at air Canada site now and contact Porters as well. Appreciate the advice.

Edited: 4:05 pm, November 27, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nine days in Canada.

Will look at West Jet as well.

We are booked into a cottage on the coast, north of Cavendish. Sounds as if we will be fairly well placed for what we want to see. Thanks.