We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in PEI

kilkenny
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Winter in PEI

Im travelling to PEI just after Christmas and staying in charlottetown, just wondering what is like in winter?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in PEI

Well I would say the words cold and quiet come to mind. Most everything tourist related shuts down in the winter. Having said that, there will still be great dining options as well as shows at the Confederation Centre. Just being honest, it isn't the best time to visit but if you're already coming here for one reason or another you should be able to find some things to keep you busy. I think they are still deciding on whether or not to have the Jack Frost Festival and when they will hold it(winter carnival).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in PEI

Quite a number of years ago, I spent family time in C'town for a January and February. I distinctly remember -15C temps and 15-20 inches of snow. It was fun to walk around in for short, cold periods of time, but challenging to drive in, and you would need to drive to get anywhere. I was a passenger and didn't drive myself. The snow was great for snowballs and snowmen. I wonder what would be on at Confederation Centre when you are there? And Government House, if it's open would be a must see as it's the birth place of our country, which consisted of only 4 "provinces" in 1867.

3-4 nights might be enough at that time of year with no car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in PEI

It can be crazy cold as Mufti writes, or reletively mild...however, it can count on it being damp... It will be quiet, but still some stuff will be open...

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
103 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in PEI

All good points made in the 3 other posts.

Over the years most of our winters were cold, windy, sometimes damp, lots of snow- lots of storms but the last 10-15 years were less so. Certainly less snow in general compared to my childhood. We were usually always guaranteed a white Christmas but have had our share of cold green ones the last number of years. There is generally snow in Dec- but it doesn't always stay like it used to. Usually plenty of snow in Jan and Feb and can drag into March.

Come prepared for cold and depending on where you are coming from it may be a different kind of cold than what you are used to.

Check out what is open or going on or shows (limited in winter) at Confed Centre. That way you won't be disappointed.

If you ask some particular questions re what is open or activities in various areas that time of year I am sure Islanders or frequent visitors will help you out so that you can make the most of your trip!

5. Re: Winter in PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 15, 2013