We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

touring PEI

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
touring PEI

My husband and I are planning to spend 4 weeks touring the Atlantic Provinces June-July next year. I am planning the trip and I am overwhelmed by all the beauty of PEI. We like sight-seeing and we would like to drive around the whole island of PEI. I imagine we can do it in a leisurely way in 6 days. Is that too ambitious? I would like some help in where to stop overnight - quaint little towns and all the must-see. Restaurants and hotel suggestions are also welcome! We'll start in summerside going North and end in Charlottetown from where, we'll drive to Advocate Habor.

I need some help on Nova Scotia and New Foundland/Labrador too. Should I make a different post for these places?

Many thanks for any info!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: touring PEI

Hi LanYin,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

I see you've created an entry in the NEW BRUNSWICK TRAVEL FORUM... so I'll give you some feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

toronto
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: touring PEI

I totally agree that 6 days is not too long for PEI! There is SO much to see and do on the island! I'm also so happy to read that you are including NewFoundland on your itinerary. We spend 12 days there just over a year ago, and it was one of our favourite trips. You DO need a good chunck of time there if you want to go from one side to the other, and up to L'Anse aux Meadows or Labrador.

my MUST DO list for you would be: Bay of Fundy (hopewell rocks) in NB, Greenwich Beach and Charlottetown, Pus a lobster supper and a local Ceihlid (sp) in PEI, the Cabot Trail in NS. As for Newfoundland; Signal Hill is very intersting, Trinity is a MUST (do the whale watch from a zodiac) and see the play in the Trinity Theatre. Visit the puffin colony in Avalon (I thnk the town is called Ellis or something), and have a picnic in Ferryland. Gros morn is a must as well, and if you can get north to L'Anse Aux Meadows, we found the most amazing part of our trip there whcih was a small island called Quirpon Island. they transport you over by boat, where you stay in the lighthouse inn (only inn/restaurant etc on the whole island), and you literally just explore this place for a night or 2 (i recommend 2). YHou can kayak w whales, or just watch them and HEAR them right from the dock on the cliff. You can hike for hours, or jjust hang out by the fire and play board games. even my KIDS loved this remote little gem.

Regina, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: touring PEI

we only spent a couple days in PEI. Charlottetown made self managed walking tours easy by marking coloured lines on the sidewalk that were easy to follow with the sightseeing map that you can get from any hotel. They also had a hop on hop off bus system for people that don't want to do as much walking. On day two we went for a custom van tour with Duncan from Duncan Island Tours http://www.duncansislandtours.ca. The tour was only 4 1/2 hours from Charlettetown to the Green Gables site in Cavendish but well worth it. Duncan was very knowledgeable and able to show us a few little gems that we wouldn't have known on our own. For lunch we stopped at the Prince Edward Island Preserve Co for Lobster, Fish Cakes and Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: touring PEI

PEI is beautiful, my husband and I stayed at the Holland College residence (Glendenning Hall) (902)367-7702 or 1-866-740-7702. It was surprisingly better than any other motel/hotel Ive ever stayed in. The price is great and the staff is very happy to help with anything from basics, to telling you the best spots around the island. The accommodations themselves sell this spot, they're not just 2 double bed in a room, you get a single, double, or triple room which includes a full kitchen, bathroom and two double beds (we stayed in a double). The beds are in separate bedrooms with their own cable television and high speed internet access. Also included is continental breakfast and free parking, it's not even a 5mins walk from everything downtown! We overall enjoyed our stay, will be returning and definitely recommend this spot to anyone traveling to PEI! Enjoy!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: touring PEI

Many thanks to those who helped me plan my 7 weeks road trip. Needless to say, it was a wonderful trip and we brought home lots of beautiful memories. We went to Campobello island, Saint John, Hopewell Rocks and Bouctouche in New Brunswick. We stayed in Summerside and Charlottetown, toured the North Cape drive,the Green Gables Shore and the Red Sands Shore in PEI. We then crossed into Nova Scotia to Advocate Harbour and Cape d'Or, Parrsborro, Lunenburg, Cheticamp and Baddeck . We took the ferry from North Sydney to Argentia, Newfoundland. We stayed in St Johns, Bonavista, Twillingate and Gros Morne. We took the ferry from St Barbe to Blanc Sablon and stayed in L'Anse au Clair, Labrador and drove to Red Bay. The cargo ferry took us to Natashquan and from there we drove to Quebec via Sept Iles and Tadoussac. Unfortunately, we couldn't do everything but we loved what we did and we had great weather. Many thanks to Trip Advisor for giving us the opportunity to plan such a trip due to its many reviews and forums.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: touring PEI

this post (above re: holland residence) sounds suspiciously like an ad for a hotel/motel. If not, I apologize.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback to your question as I am heading there soon too. I've been before, but it was a whirlwind trip and didn't get to see much while I was there. This time I am actually spending my vacation there.

Have a great trip, if you haven't already gone. You'll love the area, it's beautiful and the people are very friendly.

Cheers!

Edited: 11:01 pm, August 21, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: touring PEI

I think LanYin, who is the OP, posts about having done his/her trip in post 15. :-) But it is true, post 13 resurrected this old thread after 6 months of inactivity, so it can be confusing.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: touring PEI

I found this thread to be great and full of great information. I traveled to PEI 2 years ago with cousins on a ancestrial hunt and fell in love with the island. I am hoping to take my DH next summer to see this beautiful place from my roots. Would love to see the other places mentioned as well. Thanks for resurrecting the thread!

19. Re: touring PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island