We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cavendish Beach

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Cavendish Beach

Has anyone been camping on Cavendish beach located in the Prince Edward Island Provincial Park? How is the swimming at this beach? What other activites can be done at this park?

Also, what city is Cavendish beach in. I tried finding directions on MapQuest from Halifax to Cavendish but couldn't find a way to get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cavendish Beach

Cavendish beach is in the National Park in Cavendish PEI. It's about 2.5-3 hours from Halifax and has great camping. Very treed private setting and has a beautiful beach. Google Prince Edward Island and you will find a link to the official tourist website.

Toronto
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cavendish Beach

It's a beautiful beach, but one of the national park campgrounds I saw truly sucked. Tiny plots in the open grass with zero privacy (worse than even the lousiest ontario parks' campgrounds). We stayed in a home instead thank heavens, and did attend an evening PEI Park Event show which was worthwhile.

As for swimming, not likely unless you have a wet suit to keep you from freezing. We were there for 2 weeks last summer, including the only warm week of the year when it hit 27-28 for about 5 days straight... all you could do was wade in to your knees, any further and it feels like ice!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cavendish Beach

Oh dear...that does not sound good..how about cedar dunes? That one is on the northhumberland straight..is that water much warmer?

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cavendish Beach

The sea temperature on Northumberland Strait is warmer in summer than on Cavendish beach side. 18 to 20 C.

www.blueheroncps.pe.ca/Cruising/Weather.htm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cavendish Beach

Just got back from PEI National Park at Canvendish Beach. This place is gorgeous. The beach is beautiful, the camp sites were clean and the washrooms were spotless. Right outside the park there are many stores and resturants so if you are bored of camping you can find tonnes of other things to do. If I ever have the chance to go to PEI again, this will be one of my stops!

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cavendish Beach

That is great news. Thank you for feeding back the info too.

Halifax, NS
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Cavendish Beach

Cavendish Beach is located in Cavendish. I haven't stayed at the Provincial Campground but I am sure (as all parks in the Maritimes are) that it is fine. May I suggest Marco Polo Land Campground (they have a website). It has fantastic camping with sites that offer up some privacy, has 2 large swimming pools and plenty of fields with playground equipment. It has a licensed restaurant, take-out, grocery store, laudromat and mini-golf on the property as well. I highly recommend it. In fact my entire family is going there the end of July. The beach in Cavendish is lovely but depending upon what you are used to the water can be quite cool. If you are coming from the Halifax area, as I am, then you won't have a problem as the water is warmer than it is along the Nova Scotia coastline.