We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help please

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need help please

I have a question (or a few questions actually). We're flying to Halifax on July 16 and then immediately driving from there to the ferry and over to PEI to stay at Dalvay by the Sea. We'll be there for 4 days and then will take the bridge back and will stay in Halifax at Halliburton House.

Has anyone been to either of these inns? Reviews anyone? How long will it take to drive from the airport to get to Dalvay? (We're landing around 11 am so I'm hoping we can be there - leisurely - by dinner time.)

The only thing we have planned in PEI is to go to Charlottetown on the Tuesday night to see Anne of Green Gables. I just CAN'T miss that! I thought we could go to the winery one day for an outing but the rest of the time we plan on sitting on the beach and maybe wandering around but nothing too strenuous.

On Wednesday we'll drive back to Halifax in time for dinner and then the next day we have Tidal Bore Rafting booked for the day on the Schubacie River. On our last day in Halifax we are booked for whale watching in Lunenberg and then we're going to a dinner theatre in the evening.

Does this itinerary sound ok or am I setting myself up to kill myself (time wise)?

Does anyone have a good authentic seafood place that we can go to for lunch one day in PEI? Hubby is really excited about that one but at the same time I'm allergic to fish so I will need to also be able to have something else. Dalvay prices include dinner each night but he can still get a good lunch feed one day.

Is there anything else that is a MUST see in PEI? I would appreciate any comments, hints or suggestions that anyone might have.

Kim

Mentioned in this post
Dalvay
Dalvay
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help please

There are reviews for Dalvay by the Sea on tripadvisor and it sounds like a charming place. You can use mapquest.com for information on driving times.

PEI is beautiful and your itinerary should still leave you with time to relax. Since your dinner is included in your stay at the inn, you won't get a chance to indulge in one of the lobster church suppers on the island--but I am sure you can find lots of variety for lunch. Ask at the hotel if you know what area you will be visiting during the day as they would be able to give you local recommendations.

Try gov.pe.ca for activities, dining and general information. Cavendish beach is spectacular at all different times of the day. Charlottetown is home of Confederation so you may want to tour the legislative buildings.

Sorry to hear about your fish allergy but there are always selections for those who don't care for seafood. You will love the Maritimes!

Mentioned in this post
Dalvay
Dalvay
Cavendish
Cavendish
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help please

KAWS, we are also flying into HFX on July 16 and driving to the ferry to PEI! PEI is small, I think you shuld be okay with your schedule -- my philospohy is to see as much as I can when on vacation.

Have a great trip!

DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help please

I just came back from 4 days in PEI. If you have a car available, and you are a fan of Anne, you might want to try driving to Park Corner on the north shore and visit the Anne of Green Gables Museum and take a carriage ride around the Lake of Shining Waters and to the beach. The family that owns the property is related to Ms. Montgomery and my friend had a great time talking to them about Ms. Montgomery's life and the Anne phenomenon. We stayed at a B&B in Charlottetown and it took us about 45-60 minutes to drive there.

I can't really tell you about any lunch places because we usually just grabbed some sandwiches. We did enjoy the lobster dinner at Fisherman's Wharf (in North Rustico) and Lobster on the Wharf (in Charlottetown).

There is a great spa in Summerside called Atlantis Health Spa if you feel like pampering yourself.

I think Dalvay serves afternoon high tea, but if you fee like something less formal, you should try Formosa's Tea House on Prince Street in downtown Charlottetown.

I hope you enjoy your visit. I don't know if there is anything else that is a must see. PEI is a great place to unwind!

Mentioned in this post
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
North Rustico
North Rustico
Summerside
Summerside
Dalvay
Dalvay