We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

Can anyone suggest a really nice place to have dinner as well as a good pub style place for drinks...staying at the Old Mill in April so we will likely be cabbing it...

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

I love the Corner House (base of Casa Loma) - awesome food, intimate atmosphere (transformed house), great service at reasonable prices for a fancy dinner.

There's also La Maquette (King and Church) - their upstairs has a fireplace and overlooks a garden.

Toronto Life is always raving about Avalon and Rain - but I haven't eaten at either of those.

Friends also really like Pangea.

Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

Thanks so much!

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

My favorite is Scaramouche...but it is pricey, and you have to have a window table. If you ask in advance, they will honor the request.

It has a beautiful view of Toronto skyline

toronto
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

my fav is the school of fine dining

refer to their wbesite

www.theschoolfinedining.com

Granger, Indiana
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

torontolife.com has extensive reviews, but here are a few of my favorites for romance. All are in the "downtown" area, and are accessible by subway. And any of the below leaves you relatively close to the entertainment and bar scene.

George (Queen East)-- small servings encourage you to try several dishes

Canoe (Financial District) -- it's a power brokers' haunt on the 50-something-th floor of the TD building. Pricey but good. Great view.

Avalon (Club District) -- my favorite in the city if price isn't an issue.

Hiro Sushi (St. Lawrence Market area) -- arguably the best sushi in town

Lee (King West) -- An Asian version of the blue plate concept

Perigee -- Hidden away in the kinda-cool Distillery District, it's a tasting menu concept. For a (large) flat fee, you put yourself in the shef's hands for the night.

Near the Old Mill you can try Bloom -- a fashionable little boite.

Away from the "action" are some lovely places including Scaramouche, Square, Mildred Pierce, Auberge du Pommier, JOV Bistro, etc.

All of the above are "nice" -- and priced accordingly.

As for the pub scene, you can hit a decent bar on just about any major corner. I particularly like the Bier Markt right downtown by the St. Lawrence Market. It's huge -- and they have 70-odd beer on tap.

Have fun.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

Forgot to talk about pubs in my last reply...

Personally, I think the Bier Market on the Esplanade is over rated. Recently they've reduced the number of taps and have focused on more mainstream beers.

There are two places very close to it though that have an awesome selection of beer - C'est What (Front and Church) and the Beer Bistro (King and Yonge). C'est What is a great little pub in the basement of a historic building. They have pool tables, a fireplace and a good selection of food. I enjoy the veggie burger or the falafel plate and my fiance swears by the bison burger or the quesadilla.

The Beer Bistro is a little more upscale - but again has a fantastic selection of beer. I especially enjoy their cheese fondu appetizer and the mussels.

For more University type pubs, I like the Duke of York (by the St. George subway station) and if the Duke is too busy you can always check out the Bedford Academy (they are across the street from one another).

On Queen St. there's a great place called the Bishop and Belcher - they have board games and good food. Just down the street from there is the Queen Mother - even better food (but a bit pricier).

There's also three Irish pubs that might be worth visiting in the downtown area: the James Joyce (Bloor by Brunswick), the Irish Embassy (Yonge by Wellington) and one on Coburn Street (by the St. Lawrence Market) - it's painted yellow, can't remember the name of it right now - but they have excellent fish and chips.

Other good places for drinks include 7 West (open 24 hours, good food - but very slow service), Panorama (top of Manulife Centre - great view of the city), Insomnia (upscale martinis) and the rooftop lounge of the Park Hyatt.

Hope that helps.

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

Just in case you don't feel like cabbing to get around the city, the Old Mill is right on the Bloor subway line. According to their website, the directions to the Old Mill are as follow:

Exit Old Mill Subway Station. Turn right and take stairway down towards apartment building. Turn left and follow the footpath to The Old Mill Canopy Entrance. For the Lobby entrance continue along the foot path across the stone bridge to the lobby entrance canopy. (Alternatively, the lobby can be also accessed from the inside the building as well.)

If you're looking for a romantic dinner restaurant unique to Toronto, try the 360 restaurant on top of the CN Tower. It's not the best food in the city, but if you're planning to go up to the CN tower anyway, this is a good way to safe some money (there's no cost to go up the Tower if you have reservations at the restaurant).

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

I really liked some of these suggestions already posted. Will have to check them out myself. I can't help but add a personal favorite. Mama Leoni's Italian restaurant on Blue Jay Way, and then a show at Second City next door. What a blast. The food is fabulous and great atmosphere. as for pubs.. The Duke of Argyle, a nova scotia themed bar is just east of that location off John St and King. It's pretty cool too. Just another suggestion among many... Life is good!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

My choice for a romantic dinner would be the restaurant at the top of the CN Tower. I think it's called 360. The floor spins very slowly while you're dining, so you get a full view of the city. It's pricey, but worth the experience. As for a pub, there's a good one near the Old Mill. It's in Bloor West Village and it's called the Black... something or other. Some other pub suggestions; Fionn MacCools on the Esplanade, The Duke of Kent near Yonge and Eglinton, Allan's on the Danforth, and Murphy' Law in the east end of the beaches.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic dinner restaurant suggestion...

There are several 'Duke' pubs around, a Canadian interpretation of the classic English pubs (actually much nicer than most). Good pub fare, each with its own atmosphere:

Duke of Argyle - the Entertainment District ('after the game')

Duke of Devon - Toronto Dominion Centre (business lunch)

Duke of Kent - Yonge, north of Eglington (neighbourhood pub)

Duke of Richmond - Toronto Eaton Centre (tourists, shoppers)

Duke of Westminster - in First Canadian Place (Bay street crowd)

Duke of York - Bloor St at St George (neighbourhood pub)