We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Drake Hotel

ArlingtonVA
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
The Drake Hotel

I have heard great things about the Drake Hotel, but how is the location? If we do things downtown, how easy is it to get back to the hotel? We like to use public transportation.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Drake Hotel

It's a bit of a streetcar ride from downtown, about 20 minutes I'd say. That area is really "coming up" though. It is becoming the new "trendy" part of town. Lots of little bars and cafes popping up, but it can still be a little grimy in parts. It's a relatively safe area though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Drake Hotel

My answer to your question will depend in part on if you're a man or a woman. My friend owns a house just up the street from the Drake and I always take a taxi home from her place because I don't feel comfortable walking alone on that stretch of Queen Street.

Yes, it is an up and coming neighbourhood... but it's also very close to the mental hospital and after dark most of the art galleries and shops have closed. I find it to be dark and dirty.

Personally, I think that the Drake is really pretentious - full of the "m'as-tu vu" crowd. But, some people like that environment.

I wouldn't stay there - but by all means check it out for an evening's entertainment.

Toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Drake Hotel

Yeah. The Drake was cool but now it's soo hip it's gross. Full of snotty people.

Good for a night if you want to check it out but don't think it's AMAZING. It's just trendy right now.

Street cars run on King and Queen all night so you can catch one of them no problem. Personally, I think that neighborhood is so gentrified now that there's not much risk walking around.

I do. But then again I'm a guy.

Then again if I was going to the Drake I'd catch a cab back. Transit for two people is $5 a cab would be $10 or $15 if your hotel is Downtown.