We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores.

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery stores.

Hi, we will be staying at the Delta Chelsea, next august and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the nearest grocery store and the nearest supermarket i.e walmart ect, even though i suspect it will be only accesable by travelling some distance.As we've reserved a suite ,i would want to stock up on items to cook in the suite on days we don't fancy eating out.Also are there any J C penny stores in Canada or are they only in America?If so do you have any equivilents?All replies appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
7,049 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
ontario, canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores.

You are staying in the heart of Toronto. You are only a few blocks from the Eatons centre. This is a fair sized mall with Sears(very similar to J C penny)as the anchor store. This will do for gift and clothes shopping. The Bay is also very close to your location(yonge and bloor street) well within walking distance. Now for grocery stores, this will present a greater challange. I don't remember any major grocery stores in your area but there are plenty of convenience stores for bread milk snacks etc. For a broader array I would suggest the ST. Laurence Market. This is located a short subway ride Yonge line south to union station ask for directions from there. This market will have everything you need from fresh bread ,cheese,and meat to exotic fish and rice. I have walked there from the area you are staying and it took me maybe 20 minutes. Hope this info helps and have a great time in T O it's a wonderful city.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores.

The closest supermarket is a Dominion store in the basement of the College Park complex directly across the street from the Delta Chelsea. As the other person who responded said, you are sitting right by the Eaton Centre which is a major shopping complex, packed full of stores but it you feel you can't live without a Wal-Mart store (can't imagine why), the closest one is in the Dufferin Mall which can be easily accessed by public transit from the Delta Chelsea. The one way trip should take no more than 1/2 hour.

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
7,049 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Dufferin Mall
Dufferin Mall
73 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores.

The Eaton Centre is connected to an underground walkway (or maze) called PATH. Down there you will find many small and specialty grocers, a liquor store as well as many retail shops and take away shops. If you don't get lost, you should find everything you need including fresh produce and a butcher/deli.

Have fun!

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores.

Thanks everyone-your replies are very much appreciated.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores.

If you do have your heart set on Wal-mart, the closest to the Delta Chelsea is at Dufferin Mall. To get there by public transit, you'd take the subway north from College station, which is one block north of the Delta Chelsea. At the 2nd stop, get off at Bloor and take the westbound subway to Dufferin Station.

Dufferin Mall is a few blocks south. I usually walk, but you could take the bus that picks up right at the Dufferin Station.

Roundtrip, the cost is $5.

I would not recommend this trip, unless you're a Wal-mart keener.

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
7,049 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Dufferin Mall
Dufferin Mall
73 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
montreal,canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores.

My husband & I & the kids also stayed in a kitchen suite at the Delta Chelsea in August last year. We found a Dominion store (groceries) across the street from the hotel ,College park shops I think. They have everything you could wish for at very reasonable prices. Unlike some of the convenience stores around the hotel that charge you 3 times as much.

Mentioned in this post
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
7,049 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores.

The nearest grocery store is Dominion at College Park. From your Delta Hotel, you can exit to Gerard St. (Delta has 3 exits, Elm St, Gerard St and Bay St).

Once you go outside, you should see a parking lot accross the street and College Park Shop is right there. When you get inside the College Park Shop, go downstair and keep walking, you should see the Dominion grocery store. It opens 24hrs.

I'd say it takes only 5min to walk from your hotel to Dominion.

BTW, if you have time and the weather is nice, why not check out Chinatown, it has cheap grocery there. (about half hour walk or 15min Streetcar ride on Dundas St.)

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores.

There is a Wal-Mart subway distance from your hotel. If you board the Subway at College (your closest station, is on the Yonge Street Line) and ride up to the Bloor Station, switch to a Bloor Street Line Train westbound to Dufferin there is a Wal-Mart a short walk from that station. It's just 2 minutes walk south of Bloor Street on Dufferin.

You may want to visit Honest Ed's. It's a unique-to-Toronto shopping experience, and offers bargain basement prices on many items. Sometimes you need to use a discerning as to the products as the quality is sometimes lacking. But it's a REALLY fun place (you'll know what I mean when you see the outside) and a uniquely Torontonian experience.

Honest Ed's is located at Bloor Street and Bathurst Street. Closer than Wal-Mart, the Bathurst Street Subway Station is also westbound on the Bloor Street Line. Hope this helps. Enjoy Toronto!

Mentioned in this post
Yonge Street
Yonge Street
855 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Honest Ed's
Honest Ed's
102 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada