We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding rush hour traffic

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding rush hour traffic

I will be visiting Toronto on a weekday - probably this Thursday, Aug. 7 - driving in from across the border in the US. I can time my inbound trip to avoid most of the morning commute traffic but when is a good time to leave downtown for my return trip in the afternoon to miss the heaviest outbound commute traffic? I am very flexible with my schedule, but would prefer to not wait till evening to drive home. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

The beach is nice and I appreciate having one close enough for me to go to once in awhile. But those black flies can be a problem. And I think my next trip to the city will be by train. Still, Toronto is quite something to see these days. I could not get over all the new high rises going up. It doesn't even look like the same city to me anymore. Quite impressive.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

You should always give yourself extra time so you don't just miss the boat, bus, plane, whatever. Getting lost seems to happen when you are somewhere new, the quicker you notice you are lost, the better. Asking for directions isn't always too easy, people walking are either chatting on their cell phones or don't want to talk. When you are unsure which direction you should go, sometimes its best to stay right where you are at and just look around. Bus and streetcar drivers seem to be the most helpful, least they point you in the right direction...nothing like walking a few blocks in the wrong direction to mess everything up.

Black flies ? We got some black flies here in Michigan that won't leave you alone, walk/run away and they follow you and get in your hair while others want to land somewhere on you. I leave a fly swatter on the outdoor table just for them. Its the downside to cleaner air, the air is cleaner today and more bugs thrive during the summer months, IMO

Nude beach in Toronto, you got more guts then me, lol....yeah no wonder you got lost afterwards, lol

Edited: 8:07 pm, August 08, 2014
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

Home sales just won't slow down in Toronto, it is unbelievable.

If you only go to Toronto for 2 or 3 nights, you might want to drive up to Burlington-Oakville and take the GO Train the rest of the way to Union Station. Thats what I do now, the Lakeshore Train has stops every 30 mins or quicker, last time I went the train was 3 mins away when I brought my ticket and the sales dude told me to hurry and I just made the train. On the way out of Union I had to wait only 10 mins for the train to leave. Its almost quicker then driving and sure is less hassle. You can park for free at the GO Stations for 72 hours and others claim it really longer then that. Round trip ticket is $35 or so, well worth it when you figure parking fees and extra fuel for you car by driving all the way in

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

Too late for me to edit my old post.

If you are entering Canada from New York, I would just park at a GO Station in Niagara Falls or St Catherines and take the GO bus all the way into Toronto...I enter from Michigan, not New York, New Yorkers have it better, GO has buses everyday from Niagara Falls, all day long, like $45 round trip, well worth it. Why drive and pay for parking ?

Edited: 8:26 pm, August 08, 2014
Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

+1 for taking the train. I would board at Burlington (Brant Street) or Aldershot. It's a 5 minute walk from Union Station to the ferry docks, and well worth avoiding the driving nightmare.

We had those same ankle biting flies in Algonquin last weekend. Typical bug spray did nothing, but good old citronella oil worked wonders.

Mentioned in this post
Burlington
Burlington
Ontario, Canada
Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

I am moving out of NY state this year, so I probably won't have opportunities to visit Toronto much after that. If I do go again, and not necessarily for the beach, I will definitely look into the train or bus. It just is not worth that drive anymore. I sure appreciate all this advice. It just doesn't seem that long ago when I was there and Skydome, as it was called then, was just being built and there was really nothing at all around it or the CN Tower. I used to park for free in an empty lot on Queen Street. How times have changed the city. According to the Skyscraper page site that I check often Toronto now is second only to NYC (worldwide) for tall buildings, and so many more are planned that the "proposed" listings are several pages long. Quite a place, for sure. And such modern, almost futuristic designs for the new builds. I have to say I was impressed.

Mentioned in this post
Queen Street
Queen Street
570 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
17. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 11, 2015