We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

Does anyone know what are the names of the best authentic dim sum places in Richmond Hill or Markham that are not expensive? I have seen some ads for some places downtown for under $2 for haw gow, but they could be pricy in some better restaurants. Where is a good inexpensive one to go that offers a discount on the weekend? Also want to know where are the good "fry yourself" Korean places? (You fry the raw items in a BBQ pit in the middle of the table).

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

Don't know about Markham or Richmond Hill, but Dragon Dynasty, at 2301 Brimley Rd. in Agincourt, is wildly popular and not expensive.

A good Korean fry-yourself place downtown is Joons:

torontolife.com/guide/…

(There may be better ones uptown, but I'm only familiar with the places on Bloor West.)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

can't think of any in Richmond Hill or Markham that's not authentic. As for not expensive... well most dim sum places have "specials" before 11:30 am and after 2:00pm on weekdays. it is virtually impossible to have $2 prime time dim-sum anywhere in Markham. And then if it exists, you wonder if they use year-old meat.

Spring Villa at Woodbine just north of Steeles has dim sum specials before 11:30(or 11:00), that is you place your order before that time. Some other places require that you leave before 11:30.

There is also a place at the north east corner of 16th Ave. and Leslie (9425 Leslie St) , when they were advertising a 7-day-all-time dim sum special about 1 month ago. of course specials are subject to change.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

If you are talking about all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ ... they are all HK people run... so by definition, can't be good.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

finally (LOL), there are many new Korean places along Yonge Street bewteen Finch and Shappard. They are all pretty good.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

Where do they have all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ?

I had an abysmal lunch the other day at Yummy BBQ (Bloor and Bathurst). They seemed Korean. And the smell of cabbage was so strong, I thought I was back in Eastern Europe circa 1985.

As far as I can tell, the Korean strip on Bloor is pretty reliably run by Koreans.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

AYCE Korean BBQ are not run by Koreans, so they are not found in Korea Town :) Downtown, there's one at Yonge just north of College on the west side "Grill Time". On Queen Street between University and CityTV but on the north side, there's "Korean Village" (I think). There is a also new one on Yonge just south of Bloor on the west side.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

very inexpensive dim sum: there is this place at the Pacific Mall/Market Village complex. Steeles/Kenneday, Northeast corner. The restaurant is not in the main buildings, but out in the strip mall area, at the north west corner of that complex. Basically you turn into the complex on Kennedy at the traffic light, turn left at the first "intersection and go to the end. The dim sum place is right at the corner. Extremely busy as you can imagine.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

That;s one traffic light north of Steeles.

TO
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

Century Palace in Metro Square has pretty good and not so pricey dim sum. There are other places that has cheap dim sum in Markham, but they're usually not good.

There is an all you can eat Korean BBQ restaurant called Seoul Garden in Market Village (Markham) which is owned by Korean. I tried their a-la-carte, but I think the BBQ part is better.

No offence...but the dim sum place that Bibimbop mentioned (the one in Market Village complexe), I was there for the first time a year ago and there was a roach in my congee! I left immediately and never went back!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Dim Sum places in Markham or Richmond Hill?

Century Palace .. no kidding.

I made disclaimer up front that discount dim sum could use year-old meat. So what else is new? :)

The place I mentioned... I've never been there. It was a years ago you went, when it was under a different name. Personally I don't go to discount dim sum, and the recommendation was based on people I know who go there regularly.

Even high price dim sum place like Dynasty at Bloor/Avenue got closed down at one time by public health for failing the health inspection. Saw bugs in food at Movenpick Yorkville before.

What can you do? Stay home I guess.