We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

hurdle1
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

Thinking about a 10 day trip from the UK to Eastern Canada, to see some family and the major sites if the city.

What is the weather like at this time of year, is there anything to be aware of?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

Grey, damp, chilly, with the potential of snow still lingering. Too early for spring.

Not a time I'd choose to travel, however the cities will have things going on and the main attractions like museums, etc. will certainly be available.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

May or June would be much more pleasant in terms of weather.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

It is not unusual to have a snowstorm in March, or even in early April. I agree that you should wait for late April/May.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

It's a great time of the year, nothing like you have in the UK. Snow will still be on the ground but starting to melt, might be lucky to have a snow storm in Montreal or Ottawa. Also if you ski, there is still skiing until mid April. The sun is getting warm and sky is clear blue. The person who said "grey, damp and chilly" is obviously not from the area. Also because spring is approaching people tend to be in a good mood, especially if they hockey team is in the playoffs.

It's a great time of the year, go for it,

Have a good holiday

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

Ah sorry bonjours ... I am from the area, travel between the three cities regularly, and I stand my description ... yes it's possible to have blue skies and warming weather, but generally March to early April is a transitional period when weather can be quite grim.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

Check with Environment Canada and you will find that March and April are the 4th and 5th top months for sunshine. There are 6 or 7 worst months,

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
7. Re: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal - 10 nights march/april

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2015