We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craft Beer Week

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Craft Beer Week

Hello! I am visiting Toronto overnight with my boyfriend (both 25) and looking for some advice!

We are very big on craft beer and wine. We will be visiting Niagara for 2 nights and endulging in wine there before traveling to Toronto for one night (2 days) Saturday and leaving late afternoon Sunday. I noticed we will be coming during craft beer week in Toronto. I looked it up a bit but it is still unclear what exactly it is/what to do/where to go. Can anyone provide more detail on this??

Also, we were looking to visit the CN Tower and Hockey Hall of Fame. Other than that does anyone have any other suggestions on fun things to do mid-june?

Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Craft Beer Week

I'm not an expert - but as I understand it during Craft Beer Week participating bars/restaurants/pubs etc... make a point of featuring craft beers.

Nothing wrong with that, but if you're not familiar with local/regional beers up here then any visit to Toronto can be like craft-beer-week for you, know what I mean?

IMHO, If you're into beer then you're best googling for "Best Craft Beer Selection in Toronto" or something similar and not really getting pulled into the Fest. I found:

blogto.com/toronto/…

blogto.com/eat_drink/…

https://www.nowtoronto.com/food/story.cfm…

beforelastcall.ca/blog/9-top-toronto-craft-b…

dose.ca/2013/11/12/top-5-beer-bars-toronto

...now many of the above have large beer selections, not necessarily large local-craft-beer selections. Nevertheless, it'll be a curated set of great beers on tap or in bottles.

To be sure, the bars above that make a point in having good beer selection will also probably participate in craft beer week. But then, so will a lot of places that will just add two or three new beers just to make the list and pick up some extra business.

Warning, some of the bars on that list are pretty...chain-ish? Commerical? Packaged? Pick your term. They might have a lot of beers but don't have a brew-pub atmosphere.

On that list above, I quite like Bar Hop btw.Which is an odd duck, it's like a Brew-Club. It's in the club district, features beer, but is kinda clubby (not in an ultra-modern way, but it's not very pubby either. Hard for me to explain). I always sucker myself into ordering a sour-ale and then re-remembering that I don't like them.

...cask ales are popular right now, which is something I don't think I've seen outside of Ontario (but that might just be me being sheltered in recent years...). This is literally a cask of ale that they hand-pump beer out of. Serious brews. Can't get more crafty than that. Unfortunately, we've also recently taken a strong turn towards IPAs and "More hops than should be legally allowed" which dosen't suit my pallet (But is pretty well in keeping with my perception of craft brews south of the boarder...)

Like I said, I'm not a Craft Beer Week expert - I've only every noticed it happening by accident (a bar I as at would have have a flyer or something), so take the above with a grain a salt.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Craft Beer Week

Here is the official website for Craft Beer week:

http://www.ocbweek.ca/

You can browse for events in the Golden Horseshoe (Niagara), or Toronto.

The premier event is the Sessions Craft Beer festival http://www.sessiontoronto.com . I've had a great time at this event the last couple of years, but I'm disappointed in the venue this year, but it's probably great for visitors, since it's right at Yonge and Dundas Square.

You'll need to get tickets in advance if you decide to go to that festival.

Edited: 10:30 pm, May 04, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craft Beer Week

Beer Bistro, though a bit pricey, offers a ton of beer selections...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Craft Beer Week

For a couple of 25 year olds, I'd recommend the Bier Markt or C'est What over the Beer Bistro.

Beer Bistro is a bit more buttoned down atmosphere.

All 3 have great beer selections.

As I think more about it, I think you'd really enjoy the Griffin Sessions festival - it's usually a great time, although a bit expensive, but you'll get to try all the best local craft beers in one spot, along with a fun crowd, good food and entertainment.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craft Beer Week

Agreed, Beer Bistro is a little more "stuffy" but still a beer drinkers delight...

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Craft Beer Week

Needs updating but here is my beer guide for Toronto. tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155019-c160734/Toront…

Check the OCB week site for a list of events. There are usually a ton of events with a range targeted at the beer newbie to the hardcore beer geek. Most are a ton of fun. Feel free to post here or PM me, I usually try to hit a bunch of the events. Bartowel.com is also a good source of local beer news.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Craft Beer Week

Lots of good suggestions, anything beer related in Toronto I always look here too: http://www.bartowel.com/board/

You might wish to start a new thread under beer events with specific questions and perhaps reciprocate by adding to a Philadelphia Local Beer Guide (if one was started).

8. Re: Craft Beer Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 07, 2015