We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Parking for Caribana

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Verona
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto Parking for Caribana

We just found out about the Caribana Parade happening on Saturday in Toronto and would like to go. The thing is, the hotel we're staying in is in Oakville ( we wanted a place kind of between Niagara Falls and Toronto.) When we drive to Toronto for the parade, where would we park? Are there any public parking places near where the parade is happening? Any information would be much appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

Wow, what bad time to bring a car into the downtown core. You are more than likely to get stuck in a massive traffic jam as lakeshore boulevard will be closed off due to the parade. Best to park your car in Oakville at the "GO" station and take the GO Train (commuter train) into Union Station. The trip should be about 30 minutes and cost about $4 each way.

http://www.gotransit.ca/publicroot/home.htm

Good luck!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

I agree, the GO train is a likely a better alternative.

UrbanFoodie: Should RS get out at Exhibition - or does Union make more sense?

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

i would get off at the exhibition...according to the web site the parade starts inside the cne grounds and the station is just outside the cne grounds...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

Good call! (I don't usually take the western branch of GO) Do they have "local" trains on weekends or is there a possiblilty of getting on an express to Union Station train by accident?

Verona
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

Thanks guys for the info. It does make sense to take the train to Toronto. It will be so much better than getting caught in a major traffic jam in a city I am not familiar with. And there are so many transit maps I've been able to find online to print out and take with me that walking around won't be so bad. One other question I have about the transit system: am I right in assuming that Go Transit and TTC are independent of one another? The reason I ask is while looking through the TTC pages I saw that I could buy a day pass that is good for riding around Toronto for the entire day on Saturday. I am assuming that this would be a bus service whereas Go Transit is a train. Here in Pittsburgh we have one company for the bus and train service. Just wondering...

Again, thanks so much for your help on such short notice. You guys are the BEST!! :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

GO targets long-distance commuters with trains and buses that go as far as 100 mi from downtown (but, as with Exhibition, they sometimes have stops within the city). TTC provides transit within the city limits, using subways, buses, and streetcars.

You're right that GO and TTC fares are separate. There's no day pass that covers both systems. And if you did want to buy a TTC day pass, you'd probably want to stay on the GO Train to Union Station -- I don't think there's a place you can buy them at Exhibition Place.

And to answer UrbanFoodie's question, all the Saturday GO Trains from Oakville to Union Station stop at Exhibition.

7. Re: Toronto Parking for Caribana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 13, 2009