We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Hi - I am flying in to Toronto tomorrow night but do not have a hotel yet. I have a rental car, so would like to find a place with free parking that is, ideally, close to the Subway. Prefer to spend $100 USD/night or less.

Any suggestions? Or is subway access not important? Otherwise I am having trouble searching for these parameters! Thank you!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

If you have a rental car why do you need subway access? Alternately, why do you need a rental car? A car is unnecessary in downtown Toronto .... unless you need to be in a suburban location.

You will not find free parking in downtown Toronto.

Perhaps if you tell us where in the city you need to be, we can give you an idea of where to look.

Your budget is low for Toronto ... you should probably look at priceline/expedia/hotels.com. $100USD=$110CAD.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Without knowing the length and purpose of your trip, what you're doing in Toronto, etc, how can anyone say whether subway access is important? If you're staying in a suburban area (to be more likely to get cheap parking at hotels) and want easy access to downtown Toronto, then yes, subway access would help, though you could always drive to a subway station that has parking. Alternately you could stay downtown and not have to worry as much about the subway, but you'd have to pay for parking; depending on the length of your stay and whether you plan to use the car while in the city you could maybe put the car in a municipal (Green P) lot for cheaper than a downtown hotel would charge.

You won't find a hotel in Toronto for under $100 USD. The only way to get that low would be through Hotwire's "secret hot rates" where you pay for your non-refundable room without knowing which hotel it is, though you can choose an area and view the hotel's features.

Edit - was writing when phpr posted. Yes, other third-party booking websites may have cheaper rates than the hotel's advertised rates but I think to get as low as $100 you'd have to go anonymous, either Hotwire or Priceline.

Edited: 11:58 am, March 11, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Holiday Inn Yorkdale?? Novotel in North York?? Best Western at Mount Pleasant and Eglinton??? Not sure about the budget though.....

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

At booking.com they have a rate at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Toronto for $125.00 which is an excellent rate for downtown Toronto.. I am not sure what your preferred location is, but check out this hotel to see if it fits into your needs. They are showing 5 rooms left for tomorrow night at that particular rate. (I tried to copy the link for you but wasn't able to.

And I just saw this rate for tomorrow night at same above mentioned hotel ...$112. 75 total $136.55 including all taxes. If you do have to park your rental it's another 30.00. I don't think you can do much better than that unless you go to priceline or hotwire, but even then the rates may be similar, I can't say for sure though it has been awhile since I used either of those discount sites. I have used hotwire and priceline in the past and actually paid higher for a hotel that these rates. It just depends on so many variables.

reservationcounter.com/hotel-group-by-type/…

Mountain View...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Hi - sorry I did not give more information. I am going to Toronto for ~5 days on vacation. Planning on seeing some museums, doing a day trip to the falls, going up to the CN tower, etc. I have booked the rental car already, as I figured it was necessary for the falls.

This is my first time in Toronto ever, and my first time in Canada in 15+ years!

I haven't planned everything out yet - this trip is very last minute and I am completely unprepared, unfortunately :) Tickets were scheduled in the last couple of days, and I am in the middle of packing up my home as I'm moving shortly (Washington to California).

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

You should stay in downtown. Cancel the rental car, and re-book for your day at the falls. Otherwise having a car in the city is a liability - expensive to park, frustrating to get around, etc.

Additionally, Toronto will be experiencing a bit of a snowstorm tomorrow, so unless you have experience driving in snow, it would be better to leave the driving to the professionals.

The Courtyard by Marriott rate in post #4 is a very good and the hotel well located.

Also - this week is March break for the kiddies, so expect attractions to be busy.

Edited: 2:23 pm, March 11, 2014
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

A rental car is a good way (not the only way, but a good way) to go to Niagara Falls, but that's one day trip out of the 5 days you're spending here. Why do you need a car the other 4 days? It sounds like the rest of the stuff you want to do is downtown, where you'll be better off without the car. Can you cancel the car reservation, book a downtown hotel (through Hotwire if budget is important to you), and just rent a car for a day from a downtown location?

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Even to get to Niagara, you don't need a rental, there is bus transit, and in Niagara proper, it's pretty easy to get around. I'm with the others, cancel that car; you shouldn't have any penalty payment.

Snow expected to start roughly 5 am, snowing all day with accumulations up to about 10-15 cm = 3-5 inches of snow. Big temp drop expected, with wind chill, so make sure you have hat/gloves. Here's the weather report:

theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/ontario/

Those rates Northern Dec quoted sound pretty decent, and if you're now not renting a car, spend the extra on your accommodation. Maybe if you have a minute in this whirlwind schedule, send us a note about what you want to do. As noted above, it's major March Break here, all the kids are out, rates at a premium and attractions will be busy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

Expect a lot of snow in Toronto tomorrow. You do not need a car to visit any of the sites/museums/CN tower. Most of these places are very easily accessed by the subway. Only time you would need the car is when you go to Niagara.

Mountain View...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to find a hotel for tomorrow , Toronto, close to subway

OK I have an update - I canceled the car as suggested and was able to Priceline the Sheraton Centre. So that gives me reasonable subway access and I'm downtown.

Renting a car for a day sounds rough - I imagine picking it up in the city wouldn't be possible... so we'd have to taxi it out to the airport or something. What's a good way of getting to Niagra? Also, I had heard there were some nice wineries en route to there - is there any way to stop there? Or maybe with the season that is not a good idea...

Thank you!!