We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in and around toronto

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in and around toronto

we may come to toronto in july; we would like to see niagria falls but otherwise not sure what to do...we have one 16 yr old son, we like cities but also to relax in beautiful scenery with a few things to do. Any ideas?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in and around toronto

Ummm .... have you done any research on what there is to do in Toronto? Taken a look at the Top Questions on this page, or the Things to Do green tab at top? Checked a few non-TA sites that deal with Toronto tourism?

Maybe give us some idea of what you like to do or are interested in beyond" we like cities but also to relax in beautiful scenery with a few things to do."

More info needed.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in and around toronto

Other necessary details would include: how long is your trip, will you be renting a vehicle, are you interested in taking multi-day trips outside Toronto while here...

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in and around toronto

If you go to Niagara Falls you could also check out Niagara on the Lake (the scenery there is lovely). It's a short drive away so very do-able the same day.

You might want to check out Canada's Wonderland. It's on the outskirts of Toronto, but you can take a bus to get there. Most teenagers like it and it is a fun family outing. You can read all about it at the below website.

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/

Another suggestion is your family might enjoy taking the ferry over to the Toronto Islands. It only takes a few minutes to get across and once there you could rent bikes and tour around, the scenery is gorgeous. There's a little amusement park there and a few restaurants. I would highly recommend it.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g155019-d18…

Mass, USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in and around toronto

Better off just to go to Niagara and not go to Toronto, been to niagara several times, loved it, plenty to do with the kids its a family oriented area, tons and tons of hotels, if you want a fall view choice is limited (in order of view and price, Embassy suites, Hilton, Sheraton, Tower, Radisson and 2 Marriotts) 1 1/2 hr drive from Toronto

as far as Toronto, just spent 3 days there and was not impressed, not a tourist friendly City, not welcoming, No character or charm just a big city, could have been downtown Chicago, Traffic is terrible, DO NOT DRIVE ON YOUR OWN. lots of road construction, one way roads etc..Hop on hop off bus $40/3 days and only runs 10-2, not worth the money (niagara $7/day and runs till 8:00 and stops near every hotel and attraction) FYI hotels that have it charge 20-25/day parking, City lots $14 overnight. get the city pass for major attractions, Casa loma was nice but many sections (the best ones) closed due to movie filming (not happy), Toronto zoo- claims to have a large variety of animals but i dont know if it was because of the cold but there were few animals on display and they seemed lethargic and unhappy. I dont know if i am just a zoo snob but i was not impressed, and it is also the only zoo ive been to that smelled so bad (ok zoo freaks ive been to over 30 zoos i know what im talking about), plus i know zoo maps are terrible but they have the worst zoo map of any zoo ive seen, kept getting lost, and the way it is designed you must do the zoo in counter clockwise order to get the most out of it or you will spend a lot of time backtracking. The ROM (Royal Ontario museum) was ok, it is large and there are many displays but i was looking for more a Canadian museum, it seemed to focus on everyone but Canada. CN tower- you cant screw that up, 1800 feet high, great view of Toronto. if not afraid of height do the Skywalk. (like i said view of Toronto..Views in Niagara Much better, and doesnt cost extra just right out the hotel window)

dont go before may 1, it is before season, limited schedules,etc..if you are traveling with kids Just go to Niagara, Skip Toronto. you will have a good time in Niagara LOTS TO DO, Year Round Attractions. PLENTY i mean PLENTY of low end hotels (also no homeless people, LOTS of homeless in Toronto )

if your looking for a true Canadian city with Character and charm go to Montreal, excellent any time of year

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in and around toronto

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time in Toronto, MyrrdinMa, but I don't think it's really that helpful to suggest someone skip their planned destination city altogether. Toronto and Niagara Falls are both popular tourist destinations, but for completely different reasons, and one is not a substitute for the other. Someone looking for a big city with all the attractions that come with one would not be happy spending all their time in Niagara Falls. The OP said right in their question that this trip would be in July, so your complaints about the off season would not apply.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in and around toronto

Montreal a truly Canadian city??? Not sure about that, that the attractiveness of Montreal......lots of homeless people in Toronto??? Versus Montreal, I'd pick Toronto, panhandle is a lot less aggressive in Toronto IME....Toronto will have more homeless people than a town, Niagara Falls, of 82,000 or so, how can this be a surprise....take a look at the Toronto Zoo website, figure out if their map is "hard" to read....

Mass, USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in and around toronto

do you work for the Toronto tourism bureau, LOL. this is all true, but i did not say i didn't have a good time, we did have a good time, i was just giving my opinion, take it as you will. i was talking about vacationing with kids (we did not bring the kids this trip), i have kids and have traveled with kids and been to both cities if i knew what i knew now (we have been to Toronto with kids and wouldn't do it again)and were traveling with kids i would not go to Toronto, (but again this is only my opinion, take it as you will) i would go to Niagara, it is definitely kid oriented and i guarantee you will have a better time. if you have been to both you can not deny that. i just spent 3 days in Niagara (4th trip) and 3 in Toronto (2nd trip), (returned last night) off season aside,

there are as many as a dozen haunted houses, Many wax museums (think i saw 5), 3 or 4 Ripleys, Many Arcades, Mini Golf, a Ferris wheel (sky Wheel), Butterfly Garden , Floral Gardens, Aerospace Museum, Aquarium, Skylon Tower, Fort Niagara, Botanical Gardens, Helicopter Tours, Marineland (not open yet) (and i haven't even mentioned a single Falls related attraction)

you can not and will not find that in Toronto, you can not deny Niagara caters to families with kids, and it IS year round. other than the shortened hours at some attractions you almost wouldn't know it was off season. if you are going to Niagara though be aware the Boats don't start running until the ice upstream melts and goes over the falls, which hasn't happened yet and they don't anticipate happening before may 1, so check before going. you don't want to miss that.

Also i did not mention, African Lion Safari, Between Toronto and Niagara (closer to Niagara i think) worth the stop if passing through (but not open until may 1)

yes Toronto and Niagara are completely different, Granted if you are looking for a big city and all it has to offer then by all means go to Toronto. if your traveling with kids and want to get the most bang for your buck go to Niagara (but again just my opinion) but this is why i like trip advisor i get to hear vast opinions from many people and it HAS helped to shape our vacations in the past and will in the future. Thanks everyone

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in and around toronto

We have been to Toronto a few times with my son when he was a teenager and there is plenty to do.

Edgewalk if he is an adrenalin junkie - mine is :)

If he is into sport a Blue Jays game, Real Sports bar for food is a must. We went on a tour of the Rogers Centre and the Air Canada Centre. You might also get an American Football game on as well.

The Islands are good for a walking/cycling/beach day.

We also enjoyed trying to navigate the PATH.

Mass, USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do in and around toronto

yes the panhandling is Much less aggressive in Toronto, i dont know if was the section of town we were staying in but there were a lot of homeless, but they are not aggressive at all compared to Montreal.

the zoo map isnt hard to read but if your there, some of it doesnt make sense.i understand zoo maps try to condense everything onto one page and therefore some details have to get ignored, so what looks like a 5 minute walk on the map in one section might be longer in others for instance the Canada section is a half hour plus walk from nearest crossroad. the sign even says "1 hour round trip down steep incline" in what looks 5 minutes on the map. and the clockwise thing, it seems every pavilions exit is in a different section than the Entrance. so we went clockwise and it seemed we had to past every exit to get to the entrance, it seems it was designed and would go smoother if you went counter clockwise.

anyway at this point we are being nit picky but im just trying to put all the information out there for people to have so they can get the best experience possible.

if this is the only zoo you ever go to it is excellent, they have a wide variety of animals (including the pandas) maybe twice as many as most major zoos in the states but if you were to compare it to say San Diego (which also has pandas) Hands down no Contest

and one last thing, the Tram running throughout the park cost $8 dollars to take, EVERY other zoo ive ever been to it was FREE. while walking back from the Canada section the tram passed us and basically said sorry you have to go buy a ticket at the front of the park to ride.

Mass, USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do in and around toronto

yes we are from boston and we were standing there watching the droves of people going to the game and said hey who are they playing, low and behold BOSTON, SO needless to say for $20 a ticket (Youll never find that in boston) we saw the Red Sox Beat Toronto 7-6 -GO SOX, and yes the islands are nice, we do bring our bike and go. But try and ride a bike anywhere near the city, we saw a biker get hit on yonge st and have to be taken away in an ambulance. now in Montreal it seems the bikers have the right of way. Montreal is more Bike Friendly.