We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

we'll be arriving down town on new year's eve and would like a recommendation for somewhere to eat that isn't 'poncy' or overpriced but has a good atmosphere. we're staying near the CN Tower but we're happy to try anywhere down town. All recommendations appreciated

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

LOL, everything is overpriced on NYE! I get the poncy part, but could you give an idea of the type of food you like? If you stick with ethnic foods, i.e. Chinese, Greek, Thai, Indian, you will have a better chance of de-poncified food. But wherever you choose, I suggest you call ahead; NYE is a tough evening for seatings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

Obika Mozzerella Bar.....Houston Steak house and bar.....

oxford
Level Contributor
19 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

thanks for taking the time to post. We like Greek, Chinese but especially Indian

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

5th Elementt, Kathmandu (more Nepalese/Indian)...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

Have a look here....

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g155019-Toronto_O…

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

If you want inexpensive Indian food, go to Little India on Gerrard St. near Coxwell. It is not downtown, but is not that far from downtown on the Gerrard Streetcar. There are many Indian restaurants in downtown area, but these are places that they have dialed down the real Indian food tastes to suite the "non-Indian" crowd.

If you want authentic South Indian or Sri Lankan food, you have to go to Scarborough, in the east end. These are the cheapest restaurants in Toronto, where two can have a good lunch for 15-20 dollars (without alcohol). One place that I would recommend is The Hopper Hut (Sri Lankan) at Elsemare and Kennedy (again in Scarborough). Just keep in mind that these are extremely spicy food.

Edited: 11:41 am, December 30, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

I second Kathmandu. I live near little India, but still prefer Kathmandu. (Motimahal on Gerrard is ok, but a lot of the restaurants there are ran by cooks instead of chefs) Places like Kathmandu use better quality ingredients.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

If memory serves me, you're staying around Front and Spadina..........you can either walk up (North) Spadina approx. 15 minutes (1 klm) until you reach Dundas Street which will put you in Chinatown, where you can take your pick from many Asian restaurants, or try one of the inexpensive good little restaurants on Baldwin Street/Baldwin Village, not far from there.........many are Asian cuisine and a favorite of locals..............I also think you'd enjoy Ces't What, a restaurant that while not Asian/Indian, does have some dishes on the menu that may appeal (i.e Butter Chicken, Tandoori Chicken sandwich) as well as other ethnic inspired dishes, and an excellent selection of beer, while in a great atmosphere, inexpensive and about a 20 minute walk east along Front Street ( 1.5 klm, near the St. Lawrence market) from where you are staying............all of these areas will be busy on NYE though....you might want to call ahead if you can...

Edited: 12:57 pm, December 30, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

This place is also really special:

www.sukhothaifood.ca

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recomendation for a non-fancy restaurant for new year's eve

Out in Little India is this establishment: http://www.lahoretikkahouse.com/, known more for its food than the decor. The much respected owner died suddenly in November, I hope this is still going strong.

If you head out to our Danforth Avenue, that's Greek Town; a number of restaurants out that way most of which will serve you well.

Dundas & Spadina is the heart of our downtown Chinatown, my 2 favourites down there are People's and King Noodle, although there are lots. As earlier poster noted, the Scarborough area has an amazing array of Indian and Chinese restaurants, since that's where the larger community now congregates. If you're out the completely other end of the city, Brampton, you'll find a large South Asian community out that way, again, lots to choose from. But Scarborough and Brampton will both require $$$ cab rides from downtown.

If you like Deli, check out Caplansky's on College.