We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Boston via Kingston

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Boston via Kingston

Next August we will be travelling from Niagara Falls to. Toronto for a couple of nights before we head off to Boston. The journey will require a stopover en route and I've heard on the forum the drive to Boston via buffal and Albany is monotonous, I realise its about an hour or so longer to head to Toronto via Kingston would anyone recommend this and if so a good stop off point, all suggestions appreciated!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Boston via Kingston

Do you mean head to Boston via Kingston? I'm not sure that taking that route is any less monotonous. either way, somewhere around Albany is a good place to stop for the night.

Edited: 4:36 pm, November 04, 2013
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Boston via Kingston

May I ask whether you are driving back to Toronto or flying home from Boston. If the latter have you checked to see what the situation will be re your rental car?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Boston via Kingston

As senior65 notes, you may encounter problems with a rental car in terms of drop fees, availaibility, etc.

As you note, the route via Kingston is longer and could indeed be just as monotonous. It would depend on how long you are planning to get to Boston, whether you want just the one night stopover, and whether you plan to do any sightseeing along the way.

For a change from the main Hwy 401 you can drop down to the slower, more scenic highway #2 & 33 which follows the lakeshore, and meanders its way through small historic communities, orchards, farm lands, etc., eventually ending up at Kingston and/or further east at Gananoque where there are crossings to the US. At Gananoque you could stop in at the Thousand Islands, before crossing the Ivy Lea bridge to hook up with I-81. Another crossing at Kingston is the short ferry ride to Wolfe Island, and then another short ferry ride from the Island to Cape St. Vincent on the US side, where again you can travel up to I-81. Eithr of these routes have scenic options, but they would add travel time. If you can't make it as far as Albany, you could always bed down in Syracuse.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Boston via Kingston

Unless you want to see the 1,000 island, maybe Kingston as well, it's best to go through the US as gas is cheaper and more exits in general....

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Boston via Kingston

Depending on what time you leave Toronto to head to Boston you could, theoretically, do the trip in 1 day with only the occasional stop for gas etc.

I have done this drive numerous times and yes, its not the most interesting scenery to look at though it is pretty much all countryside all the way and you skirt any major cities that are out there.

Best way, possibly the quickest if coming from Toronto is to head to the Hill Island crossing east of Gananoque and take the 81 south to I90 east to Albany. [Hill Island is usually a pretty fast crossing with only a small chance of long tailbacks at the actual crossing] This is a toll road but its cheap and there are rest stops along the way. If you insist on stopping just for a night then maybe either choose something like a Red Roof Inn out near the Albany airport, its cheap and cheerful and you can walk next door to an Olive Garden restaurant. Thats if you only want to make a quick stop without seeing the sights.

I certainly wouldn't recommend going any further east than Hill Island crossing though there is one at Cornwall though you will have to hit backroads to head south east down to Boston. Also if you end up going as far as Montreal then traffic could be a nightmare so you would be best avoiding it unless you plan to actually stay and visit the city.

You could always plan to drive a bit further east on your first day along the I90 and maybe stop over night in somewhere like Stockbridge, MA. They have the Norman Rockwell museum there which is something I have always wanted to visit but haven't yet made the time. Something to consider anyway.

Its still a nice and easy drive till you hit Boston, thats when I find the madness hits lol

Pete

6. Re: Toronto to Boston via Kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Toronto