We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

Hi - I have searched the forums and see that my 8 hour layover is probably enough time to leave the airport and do something - I could just use some advice on what that something should be! I arrive from US at 12:04 on a Tuesday in November, and my flight to Paris leaves at 8:25. I figure, even with a late flight and slow customs lines, if I take public transportation I can probably be downtown by 2/2:30. I'll probably need to leave downtown by 5 to get back to the airport with reasonable time to get through security/customs and be ready to board. Should I plan to leave earlier in case of rush hour traffic?

In any case, I'll probably have 2-3 hours in the city. I've been to Toronto once before when I was a teenager, so I've seen some of the attractions. I haven't been to the CN tower, so I'm considering eating there, and then maybe walking a few blocks over to Smoke's to try some poutine. The other option I was thinking of was picking a neighborhood, like Queens Street West, and just wandering through a few shops and eating a meal. Which option seems easiest in terms of tranportation? Is there some sort of all day transportation pass I could get at the airport?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

There is a TTC day pass, but #1 I'm not sure if there's anywhere to buy it at Pearson, and #2 it might not be worth it financially. The day pass costs $10.75. Each trip on the TTC costs $3.00 if paying in cash, or $2.65 if you buy tokens in groups of 3 or more, so it would take 4 or 5 trips to make the day pass cost-effective. When I say trips I mean full one-way journeys, regardless of how many TTC vehicles are involved; transfers between bus/subway/streetcar routes are free.

I don't see a big difference between your two options in terms of ease of transportation. But it wouldn't occur to me to go to the CN Tower to eat... yes there's a restaurant there but with one lunch and limited time in Toronto, I'd look for some awesome little non-descript stall in Kensington Market, Chinatown, or some such neighbourhood. Or go to Smoke's, as you say, if you want some poutine.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

Oops. Wrote that at lunch and must have had food on the brain. I meant heading there -- not eating at the Tower. Thanks for the info about the day pass.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

The currency exchange booths at the arrivals level of both airport terminals are supposed to sell the TTC day pass, so you could ask there. But as Tweed notes it sounds like you wouldn't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Your plan makes sense as long as you're travelling on a single ticket, in which case they should be able to check your bags through to Paris. If you had to claim and re-check baggage, it'd be much trickier.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

I just want to say a belated thank you! I was able to make into the city for about 3 hours during my layover. Getting downtown on the bus and subway was very easy -- getting out of the airport was ridiculously confusing (terrible signage in that airport!).

I wandered around by the CN Tower, stopped in a few shops, and ate some poutine at Smoke's before heading back. It's a beautiful city and I'll have to go back and spend more time there some day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

Thanks for coming back to let us know about your experience!

6. Re: Another layover question - Toronto Pearson 8 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 30, 2014