We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

colours. What will be the best options?

Parks that are easy to access from Toronto by public transportation.

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

Although it's not the same as seeing/photographing bear, moose etc. in their natural habitat, you could combine a visit to the Toronto Zoo, where you WILL see moose , deer and bear up close and can photograph them to your heart's content........our Zoo is not the "behind the cage" variety, but in a natural setting (with lots of trees too)... and you will be right near The Rouge at this point..............

http://www.torontozoo.com

Edited: 11:48 am, October 02, 2013
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

@#20 yeah... the reality of outdoor activities in Ontario is that having your own car helps a lot.

Basic driving times from Toronto, not including stops or traffic delays, are approximately:

Killarney - 5 hours. Very beautiful with its white quartzite hills and clear lakes, all 3 animals you mention live there, though in moderate densities. Some hiking trails are clustered around the main campground in the park and a couple are accessible from the town, so you'd have some options without a car but it would be limited.

Northern Bruce Peninsula - 4 hours. Stunning cliffs over Georgian Bay. No moose, but deer and bears are around in the area (might be best chance of bears actually). Staying in Tobermory would give you access to some hiking, and boat rides to Flowerpot Island if they're still running, but you'd be able to access a lot more hiking and scenic spots with a car.

Algonquin Provincial Park - 3 hours. Not as dramatic scenery as the other two, but still a very pretty wilderness area of lakes and hills. All the animals you mention are present and it's your best chance of seeing moose, as well as beavers. Hiking trails etc are spread out along Highway 60 so it would be difficult to do much without a car. Various accommodations options just outside the park as well as camping within the park.

And yes, the zoo could be combined with a short hike in the Rouge Valley if you're up for a long day.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

One more dilemma..sorry. This saturday, the Toronto Bruce Trail club offers two treks, one for the Caledon Hills and Hockley valley (18 kms) and the other that seems to be more rocky and challenging (22 km) to Mccrae Lake. I guess there arent many chances of spotting wild animals while walking in a large group, but which area has the better scenery and views? Of autumn colours and just of general landscapes. I'm a photographer and my number of weekends here is obviously limited so I want to make the best choices in the free time that I have for travelling.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

I'm not sure what you're Mccrae Lake hike entails. What's the starting and finishing point?

I can tell you, though, that the hike from Caledon to Hockley Valley would have some very nice vistas and you could take some great photos along the way. Let's just say it's not wild....but it's very pretty nonetheless. You won't be disappointed.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

Hockley Valley is among the steep hillsides of the Niagara Escarpment, but not one of the parts with sheer cliffs and exposed rock. It's a good place to see fall colours when they happen, because the forest is almost entirely hardwoods (maples etc), as opposed to some of the more cliff-like parts of the escarpment which are covered in cedar. My family used to have a tradition of going hiking in the Hockley Valley about a week later, around Thanksgiving, to see the colours.

I haven't been to McCrae Lake so I can only surmise based on the location and what I've heard and read... I think it's a "wilder" area, with a rocky landscape and rugged lakeshore typical of the Canadian Shield (similar to landscapes you'd see if you went to Algonquin). The type of place where people go fishing and camping by canoe. The forest would be a mix of hardwoods and evergreens like pine and spruce, but the fall colours might be more advanced there this weekend since it's farther north.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

Try the Etobicoke Creek Trail. If you go on the section behind Pearson Airport, you will see deer, providing you go at the right time of day (sunrise works well). Hendrie Valley, across from the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton, will give you an excellent selection of birds, if you like bird photography. You aren't going to find moose near Toronto; you really need to go out to northern Ontario for that (i.e. Algonquin). Zoo will give you exotic animals to photograph.

27. Re: 1 day trek/trip from toronto, without a car, to see autumn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 09, 2014