We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oshawa to the city and back again

Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oshawa to the city and back again

My husband and I will be staying in Oshawa over Labor Day weekend to attend races at Mosport. We are considering taking a train into the city on Saturday to either check out the CNE or go to one of the islands. Is there any advice that you have regarding the trains? We will be able to drive to a station-Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax etc. Would one be a better choice than the other? I am assuming that if we decide on the CNE that we would get off at Exhibition. Is it a far walk from the station to the CNE entrance? I believe that if we decide on a ferry to an island that we would get off at Union and walk to the ferry dock. Is that correct?

We are from the suburbs of Buffalo, NY so mass transit is BIG experience for us.

If anyone knows anything about Oshawa can you recommend a "must see" or "you have to eat at..."?

Thanks!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

On a long weekend, any of the GO stations will have lots of parking, so really whichever one you choose is up to you ... whichever is most convenient to where you are staying. Check the GO schedule carefully as the train does not always stop at every station on weekends. But Oshawa is the end of the line, so it always goes there.

If you have time and like cars (which I assume you do given your attendance at Mosport) you might visit the Canadian Automotive Museum - which is actually located in an old vintage car dealership. As well, Parkview Estate, which was the home of Sam McLaughlin, who brought the auto industry to Oshawa, is open to the public is quite beautiful. For more info you can check the Oshawa tourism website:

http://www.oshawa.ca/tourism/tourism.asp

Also the Durham county website has events, info etc. for Oshawa and surrounding areas:

http://www.durhamtourism.ca/

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

Work here and used to live here. Yes, use the Oshawa Go station, if you are coming from Mosport Im going to assume you will either come down the 115 hy or down Reg Rd 57 into Clarington. Either way the easiest way to get to the GO Station is to exit the 401 at Stevenson Rd and then turn south on Stevenson, I believe you will then take a left turn to get down to Bloor St. On Bloor St. go west to the Go station, very easy to find.

As for places to eat. There are all kinds of places in the downtown core and there is a reasonable amount of free parking on street and also behind some of the stores.

For a decent and very generous breakfast you could go to the Rainbow on Simcoe St just north of Richmond [about 100 metres north of the downtown core], Simcoe being the main north and south street through Oshawa. The Rainbow has been around for 50 years in the same family and does a very good Peameal breakfast.

Though if you are going to the EX. you might not want to fill up on food before going!

When coming back from Toronto you could always just go to The Keg at the Oshawa Centre Mall if thats your thing. Just take Stevenson Rd north of the 401 to Gibb St and you will see the mall and restaurant on your right.

Further up Stevenson on the left is Harpo's which gets some quite good reviews I believe. All depends what you really want. If you take Stevenson up to King St and then go east [its 1 way so you have to turn east] there are all the usual chain type restaurants right along King St right into the downtown core.

I reread your question and saw that you are staying in Oshawa. If so you could always drive over into Whitby and go to the Empire Theatre complex which is at 75 Consumers Dr,Whitby. Next town over from Oshawa but they all blend together. Consumers runs west off of Thickson Rd. so if you happen to be staying at a hotel on Champlain or Bloor in Oshawa you arent far from there. The Complex has about 13 different restaurants from Wings to Sushi to Jack Astors Bar and Grill. Lots of options to choose from.

Pete

Edited: 9:14 pm, August 28, 2013
Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

I would suggest taking the GO train from the Oshawa station to the Exhibition station. It should cost $9.20 per person, one way. Trains run every 30 minutes on the weekend. Please note that you will take one train from Oshawa to Union Station in Toronto, and then take another GO train from Union Station to Exhibition (just one stop).

As phpr noted, there will be lots of free parking available at the Oshawa GO station.

Parking at the CNE will probably be about $20.

You can find the GO train schedule and fares at gotransit.com

Hope you have a great time here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

On weekends, every Lakeshore East train (from Oshawa) makes a short stop at Union and then becomes a Lakeshore West train (stopping at Exhibition). No change of train is required, or even possible.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

thanks for the correction matt

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

The Go train would be best, with the last train departing Exhibition towards union then onto Oshawa at 1201 am, it gives you the most freedom while avoiding the traffic....the exit at exhibition station go leads right into the CNE, so nice and close....just follow the crowd!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

Concerning your query about the Toronto Islands ... yes - you would get off the GO train at Union and then walk a few blocks south on Bay Street to the ferry docks... about a 15 minute walk.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

genesee

is that as in the Cream Ale?

td mentioned a good point that the last train towards Oshawa is not very late...actually it might be 1224 am. If you miss that train, the taxi ride home to Oshawa could be as much as $160. We live in northern Whitby, and my opinion is there is no advantage in driving to the Whitby or Ajax GO stations. the GO train fare will be slightly less expensive than from Oshawa, but would be offset by your gas. At least you don't have to worry about missing your stop, or being on the wrong train platform if you start your trip at the Oshawa GO station.

As for dining options, I would agree with Lucy and go to the AMC complex at Thickson and Consumers. However, my favorite burger comes from Baldwin Street Burger in Brooklin which is a minute from my home. I also like Buffalo Wild Wings at Taunton and Harmony in Oshawa.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

If you miss the last train, the subway from Union Station to Kennedy (for $3) would save a ton on taxi fare. Subways run until almost 2am.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oshawa to the city and back again

On weekdays, the last Lakeshore East GO Train leaves at 12:13 am, but there are GO Buses on the same route leaving at 1:20 am and 2:20 am.