We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Thought I would do a quick TR to show you what we did for our recent 4 night break here. Hopefully its not too boring but maybe give people some ideas of whats on offer. Will post it below

Lardy

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Bit of background, Mr and Mrs Lard 37 + 31 first timers to Canada mainly done other city breaks in USA and around Europe. Thanks to everybody who gave advice on here which helped us plan a truly brilliant trip

Day 1

Having stayed at London Sheraton Skyline (see review) we flew from heathrow with British Airways, first time having flown with them in about 15 years. Have to say a little dissapointed food was pretty bad and the film choice on board not so good either. Another thing that could have improved things would have been at least the offer of some snacks, for an 8hr flight 2 lots of drinks and one meal was quite poor customer service. Anyway landed safely and had a very smooth transfer through immigration and into baggage collection (something we have not experienced on our last few trips to the states). Following advice from TA we went to the taxi/limo service and got a limo ride with a company called Air flight Services, this was a pure fluke as we hadn't pre booked anything. The driver a very friendly chap agreed the price of $53 to our hotel in Downtown Toronto. All the way to our hotel the driver chatted away about life in general and gave us some advice for during our stay.

Arrived at the hotel about 45 minutes later after a pleasant journey The Cambridge Suites (see review) I won't go into detail about the hotel as its all in my separate review but to be blunt it was a great hotel. Did some unpacking and got freshened up and went for a wander. We just did a basic walk to get familiar with our surroundings heading up to Dundas Square which had some pretty cool Japanese event going on. By this time we were starving so just headed in to the Pickle Barrel, this was ok but not really worth writing home about. Following dinner we had another short walk before heading off to a local bar for a beer. I opted for the local brew 'Steam Whistle' which was lovely. Off back to the hotel for a jet lagged sleep at 10pm.

Day 2

Woke up quite early due to the jet lag still kicking in a bit so went for an early morning jog around the local area, this was a great way to wake myself up and take in some of the sights that I'd never seen before. it was great, there was lots of people about and most had a quick chat with me whilst waiting at cross roads for the lights to change. Back to the hotel for a shower and change then off to Dundas Square to meet our tour guide Dustin from Live Toronto Walking tours (see review) Again I won't go into detail as its seperatly reviewed but this is basically a private walking tour to suit your individual tastes for 1.5hrs and Dustin takes lots of photos of you without being intrusive and emails them to you all included in the price. Following this I was starving due to my run and walk and Dustin advised us to visit Cora's (see review) as we were heading towards the CN Tower area, breakfast was great but when we arrived at the tower the queue was huge so we opted to try another day. Dustin had also advised us for something different take in the Steam Whistle Brewery tour, it was 300 mins tour and only $10 each (see review) you basically had an interesting tour and loads of free delicious beer down by the waterfront. Later on in the afternoon we visited the Police museum, this was ok but its not that big so 30-45 minutes is more than enough and has some interesting facts and exhibits on display. Had a few more Steam Whistle beers in a local bar and then got ready for dinner. We chose Red lobster as i love lobster and its way too expensive back in the UK. The food here was really good as far as the lobster and crab legs went but the prawns that accompanied it were a bit overcooked and greasy.

Day 3

Niagara Falls tour with the company 'Chariots of Fire' (see review) A great day out taking in all the sites and sounds of Niagara, Niagara on the Lake (a beautiful town) and a flying visit to a winery with free wine samples. Got back to the hotel around 530pm. Had dinner at 'The Keg' (Yes you guessed it see review) By far the best steak i have ever had Period !!!!!

Day 4

Wonderful breakfast at Sunset Grill (see review) then off to the CN Tower for 9am. The tower opens at this time and there was hardly any queue, Mrs Lard went up and I stayed down as I have an annoying phobia of heights. Mrs Lardy enjoyed it and said the price of $32 was fine as she got to spend as long as she wanted up there and walk over the glass floor etc. If your fine with heights we were advised its worth getting the lunch deal as for around another $20-$30 you get a three course fixed lunch in the restaurant whilst enjoying the view. Had lunch at Hooters which is not everybody's cup of tea but I always find it funny and to be fair I do love their chicken wings.Spent the afternoon doing a little shopping before heading back to the hotel for drinks in the bar then off out for dinner. for our last night we ate at Milestones Grill and Bar above Dundas square. This was primarily for the view above the square at night but tonight was our only night of bad weather so the balcony area was shut so we stayed indoors. Had steak again but we must have been spoilt by The Keg as this was fairly chewy even though i have mine rare, no offer of a replacement just a comment of i'll advise the chef, gee thanks !!!! Had a few after dinner drinks in the Micro Brewery (I forget the name sorry) just off Dundas and on Young Street. This place had a really good atmosphere to it and tasting home brewed beer (I still preferred Steam Whiste for taste)

Day 5

Breakfast again at Sunset Grill then full day of shopping for our last day mainly at The Eaton Centre where we got some good bargains on some branded clothing. We also went to the Distillery District which was lovely, full of lots of little shops which are all individually independent shops ranging from trinkets to clothing to chocolate, well worth a visit but don't expect to find anything cheap. Returned back to our hotel area and went into Johnny Rockets for a milkshake, although a chain of restaurants we always pop in here for a milkshake when we have visited the states. Pre booked a limo back with the same company who brought us here and off to the airport. Again another sub-standard flight back with BA, first drinks to come round for my regular flight drink of Whiskey and Dry, "Sorry Sir we have run out of dry" !!!!!! Thanks but no thanks BA.

All in all we loved Toronto and loved Canadians who came across as genuinely warm friendly people. We would definitely return again when the kids are a bit older so they will hopefully enjoy it as much as we did

Top 5 Highlights

1. Walking tour with Dustin

2. Niagara Falls with Chariots of fire

3. Steak and Lobster at The Keg

4. People watching in Dundas Square

5. Shopping and Steam Whistle Brewery Tour

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Great TR, really glad that you enjoyed your time in Toronto! Hope you come back soon!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

What a fanastic "picture" of a local area of TO. So very helpful to those wishing to stay at that hotel or who want to spend time and eat in that area.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Thanks for the kind comments glad you enjoyed it and hopefully gives people some ideas

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Have to admit I chuckled at this ... "although a chain of restaurants " ... since pretty well every restaurant you mentioned eating in is a chain restaurant...

So glad you enjoyed your trip ... and thanks for coming back to give such a great report!

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

phpr -LoL, you Canadians must do it so much better than over here as I never knew, they were all delicious apart from the last night

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Thank you for posting your report.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
44 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Brilliant. We are spending three nights in Toronto then 2 nights in Niagara Falls. Your type of report is invaluable to us Canada virgins!! Thanks again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Every Brit I've ever known that comes to Canada (and the US for that matter) *loves* the chain restaurants. One tried to explain that the reliability of, as well as the good value proposition, was attractive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto Virgins Trip Report

Thanks for the great idea for the live walking tour! I just booked ours!