We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to US - airport arrival time

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Toronto to US - airport arrival time

I am flying from Toronto to Orlando on Westjet on a Friday, and the flight leaves at 8:40 pm. What are the wait times for luggage, US pre-clearance and security like at this time at night? I have heard they are bad early in the morning but don't know about evenings. I can either book a train arriving at Union Station at 3:35 or 5:08 pm, and it takes about an hour on the subway/bus to get to the airport. I would rather the 5:08 train if possible to avoid a long wait at the airport, but I'm not sure if that's enough time. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to US - airport arrival time

Your 5:08 arrival into Union should be fine. That would get you to Pearson 2.5 hrs before your flight which is more than enough. There's even some leeway for a late train, we'd say.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to US - airport arrival time

TTC trip planner puts the length of the trip from Union to Pearson at 68 minutes. If everything goes like clockwork, and you can get on the subway train within 8 minutes, the 5:08 arrival would be fine, getting you to Pearson at 6:24. The problem is if everything does not go like clockwork, you could arrive an hour later. If you take the 5:08 arrival, I would take a taxi from Union Station to Pearson. Otherwise, take the earlier train. Traffic (and TTC) heading out of the city on a Friday at 5pm can be horrible.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to US - airport arrival time

I would grab the earlier arrival to be safe. You could always grab a bite or coffee at Union Station to fill up some time before heading to the airport.

I would avoid taking taxi during rush hour at 5pm heading westbound... Very bad traffic.

Edited: 9:56 pm, June 22, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to US - airport arrival time

Not sure what the schedule is like, but there is a bus service from Kingston to Pearson:

coachcanada.com/coachcanada/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to US - airport arrival time

2 hours is enough for a US flight at Pearson -- they don't really want you there much sooner than that anyway.

However, I'd be worried about the potential for a train delay -- Via's on-time record seems to be getting better, but it'd be a real mess if you got stuck on the train and couldn't get to the airport soon enough. And around 6 pm, hopping in a taxi at Union isn't going to get you to the airport much faster than the TTC route.

The 3:35 pm arrival would be the safe way to go. There's also train 61, which is scheduled to arrive at Union at 4:44 pm.

6. Re: Toronto to US - airport arrival time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 25, 2014