We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

In the past, my husband and I have used our phones to help us navigate through the cities that we travel too. However, we're from the US and would prefer to avoid the extra data charges. I am hoping to find a helpful app that will include a map of downtown, the subway, restaurants, and other points of interest. However, I need something that will work when data is turned off. I understand that I won't be able to use an app that uses GPS for your current location, and I'm okay with that.

We have iPhones and I am okay with apps that are a few dollars if they will be helpful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

You actually can use GPS on an iPhone with data turned off. CityMaps2Go and PDF Maps are two apps I have that allow you to download maps to your phone for use while offline, and you can use your phone's GPS to locate yourself on the maps (depending on the map). CityMaps2Go as the name suggests is focused on city maps; I believe the app has a free version that only lets you download like one map, and a version for a couple of bucks that gives you unlimited maps. PDF Maps is free and the maps it lets you download are either free or paid, I believe there's a free Toronto transit map available, haven't looked at it myself.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

I second CityMaps2Go. You get 5 city maps in the free version and they were extremely useful on our recent trip to Great Britain.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

I am downloading that app right now. Thank you for the help!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

Toronto Life has a restaurant app ... not sure how it all works:

www.torontolife.com/best-restaurants-app/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

TA has a pretty good app....:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

There is a Starbucks on every other corner downtown with free wi-fi, which will let you use most apps.

If you plan to use the TTC (public transit), I recommend Nextbus. It lets you know when the next bus will arrive, and is really handy.

7. Re: Phone app recommendation for Toronto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 21, 2014