We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotia card in NYC?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
710 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Scotia card in NYC?

Hi, Could anyone please advise which bank ATMs I am able to use in NYC with my Scotia debit card without incurring fees? I did a search to check if there are any Scotia ATMs or banks, but seems there are none?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotia card in NYC?

The Bank of America is the US partner in the Global ATM alliance of which Scotiabank .is a member.

www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,316,00.html

scotiabank.com/ca/…abm-member-banks.pdf

So look for BoA machines in NYC. I have used them and they are fairly easy to find.

raquel

toronto
Level Contributor
710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotia card in NYC?

Raquel, thank you very much for the great link.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotia card in NYC?

Do most banks have major partners down in the US??

CIBC?

TD??

Royal???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotia card in NYC?

No. This is one of those things on here that's gotten carried away through repetition.

There are only three significant ATM fee waivers between Canadian and US banks:

- Scotiabank customers pay no fee at Bank of America ATMs, and vice versa through the "Global ATM Alliance" (also includes Barclays, BNP Paribas, and Deutsche Bank). Bank of America operates in 33 US states.

- TD Canada Trust customers can use TD Bank ATMs and vice versa, since they're owned by the same Canadian parent company. TD Bank operates only in 15 eastern seaboard states (and DC).

- BMO Harris Bank operates in 9 US states and offers fee-free ATM use to Canadian BMO customers; the reverse doesn't seem to apply.

RBC sold their US bank (RBC Bank, previous RBC Centura), and CIBC never had one.

The US bank industry is highly fragmented so finding a fee-free ATM while visiting the US is much harder than finding your own bank's ATM in any large Canadian city. As for Americans, most of them don't bank at Bank of America and may have never even heard of TD Bank and/or BMO Harris Bank, so telling visitors to check with their bank to find out which Canadian bank they have an ATM agreement is sending most on a wild goose chase.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotia card in NYC?

I expected the TD thing, I was surprised that there was even an agreement for Scotia with the extremely fragmented and regional nature of the banking system stateside....

6. Re: Scotia card in NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 28, 2014