We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange Toronto

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Currency Exchange Toronto

Hi,

I'm looking to convert some Canadian dollars to US dollars, it is a large amount. Anyone know any places where I can get a better rate than my bank? I've asked my accountant and my financial adviser. It is a large amount so I want a good rate. I need to send the funds to the USA.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

I've used (though for smaller amounts of money) Guardian Currency Exchange -- there's a location at Dundas Square and one further south towards the Financial District. Their walk-up rates beat the big banks, and they seem to handle transactions of all kinds. www.guardianfx.com

For ongoing currency exchange, look at the TD Borderless Plan account. It gets you a better rate than the standard USD account, and you can move your money online at your convenience (i.e. when the rate shifts in your favour).

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

Your bank should be able to get you a better rate for a specific amount over $5,000. My bank will place the trade on their exchange desk

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

Thanks guys. I ended up comparing a bunch of options and exchange rates in Toronto and I used www.knightsbridgefx.com. They had the best rate for my amount (US$80,000). I'm buying US real estate and the property closed today successfully.

I was so surprised at the difference between their rate and the bank rate, like it is crazy, I think I saved about $800 with them.

4. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, April 17, 2013
Edited: 10:05 pm, April 17, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

I also wanted to add that http://www.knightsbridgefx.com/ has a minimum of US$5,000 and focuses mainly on US dollars and Canadian dollars. So if you're looking for smaller amounts of cash, go downtown Toronto and walk in to any of the other places there.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

I've tried Sultan Exchange at 639 Bay St (Dundas and Bay) across from the bus terminal and got great rate for my USD. They give much better rates than other exchange houses or banks.

7. Re: Currency Exchange Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Toronto