We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

I will travel to Europe from the US and have a 7-hour layover in Toronto. I want to see if it's possible for me to have enough time to leave the airport and check out either CN Tower or have lunch in the city and then come back to the airport for my flight. My flight will arrive Toronto Thursday around 12:25 pm and then my flight to Europe will be at 7:45 pm. All my flights will be with Air Canada so the bags will be checked through from the US to Europe. Given the time I need to go through Custom & Immigration, transportation to downtown and back to the airport during rush hour, go through security line, I'm guessing I will have about 1.5-2 hrs to do in Toronto. Is my assessment correct? Or should I just stay at the airport and be safe? From what I read off the forum, the rush hour in Toronto seems to be notorious. I appreciate any advice from experts here. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

I think what you want to do is reasonable. A similar question was asked the other day, tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k617736…

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,654 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

yes ... you should have time. The advantage you have over the OP in the thread cited above is that you arrive in a non-rush hour period, and also a less busy time at the airport.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

Thank you Tweedwolf and phpr. Do you know if it's easy to get a taxi from downtown back to the airport during the rush hour? I'm assuming when I head back to the airport it will be around rush time 3:30 - 4pm ish. Thanks again!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,654 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

It shouldn't be a problem ... although you would want to ask for a flat rate. The rate should be in the $50 range.

Since you're going to be downtown, you might consider taking the Airport Express bus service. You can pick it up at the Royal York hotel (right downtown) ... I "think" it is the last stop before it heads to the airport (I think because I live out of town so don't use it). The bus would be less expensive than a cab.

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/

Just a thought, although others might have a better idea.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

Airport Express is a good idea. There's a ticket booth at the Royal York, though the bus stop has moved temporarily across the intersection to the southwest corner of Front and York Streets (outside Casey's restaurant). There's only one more stop (the Westin Harbour Castle) before the airport, so from that location it's shouldn't take too much longer than a cab.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

Thank you both phpr and mattinTO. Airport Express sounds good. I'll check it out. There're both of us so with the fare for two it might still be a little cheaper compared to cab fare + tip.

Arizona City...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

Go see a Maple Leafs or Raptors game!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,654 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

JadeM - Highly unlikely OP could do that ... given that games usually begin at 7pm.

9. Re: Advice for 7 hour layover in Toronto.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 04, 2014