We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
355 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Hi

My husband and I are planning a road trip to see Canada for the first time at the end of May 2013.

So far our thoughts are something like this:

Toronto 4 nights

Gananoque 1 night (?)

Gattaneau Ottowa 2 nights

Quebec 4 nights

Montreal 2 nights

Fly home.

We wanted to combine seeing the sights of Canada with making sure we had a chance for some relaxation outside of a city base, which the majority of the tour seems to be. We'd like to incoporate some picturesque, relaxing elements to our holiday. Whether it be in small towns/villages or national parks.

Any thoughts and ideas on the current suggested itinarary would be most appreciated, alongside places you think we've missed or are worth seeing. Hotel/B&B suggestions also most welcome!

Many Thanks in advance

Liz

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

The revised itinerary is pretty solid, though you may consider putting Your Niagara leg of the journey first, then Toronto....it would break up the driving a bit....

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
355 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Phpr - thankyou, that sounds great, just the sort of thing we'd enjoy. I'll definitely take a look at those links and try to plan this route in. Really appreciate your help :-)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

You're welcome.

I agree with TD that you might consider putting Niagara at the beginning ... start in the west and move east...

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
355 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Tdsuperstar, yep good idea, was wondering if that might work better. Thanks so much for your feedback.:-)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

I would not got to Ottawa for 3 nights. Spend 4 nights in Toronto, as you first proposed and 2 nights in Ottawa.

I think 1 night in Niagara-On-The-Lake is enough unless you wanted the second night to also spend time in Niagara Falls....then that's fine.

Sorry, don't want to confuse you...lol. But I do think 2 nights in Ottawa is enough and take the extra day and put it back to Toronto for 4 nights.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
554 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Hello,

I would leave Toronto at the start as you don't really need to rent a car there but I think it would nice for you to have one for Niagara. krustytripper is right that you don't need 3 nights in Ottawa. You could see the best parts in a day, but there is lots to do if you want to spend the extra night there.

I would spend the extra day outside of the major cities. Prince Edward County can be nice but I'm not sure what will be open at the end of May. You could spend 2 nights in Gananoque (or Kingston) and that would give you one full day to explore the 1000 Islands Region (1000 Islands Skydeck, Parkway, cruises, and nature trails). Or you could add a romantic night in Wakefield or Montebello after Ottawa.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Lots to do in PEC in May. But what I realize no one has mentioned or asked you is what are your actual dates for this trip. May 18-20th is the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada, and is considered in some ways as the first long weekend of summer ... even though it's not summer and temps can be a bit chilly still ... however, it is a busy weekend on the roads and in certain tourist areas. If you're travelling during this period, you'll need to start making some hard decisions soon about where to stay, etc. And a word of advice - you do not want to be travelling out of Toronto on Friday May 17th ... the traffic can be horrendous as city dwellers head for summer cottages, etc. And then they all drive back on the 20th.

You may also be fortunate in seeing the tail end of the tulips in Ottawa at this time. The Tulip festival is a big event in Ottawa.

Edited: 6:19 pm, February 20, 2013
Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
355 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Krustytripper - Thanks a lot for your feedback on this itinarary, really appreciate it. I've taken your advice and taken the extra night off Ottawa and put it back onto Toronto.

Irishhoneymooner - thanks very much to you too! It's good to have the two of you agree on the Ottawa part as it helps validate the changes for me!

With this in mind I've made those changes and also taken Niagra on the Lake out, I thought we could do Niagra out of Toronto as a day trip (also helps as not making the journey east so long) as we had that part in there for a bit of relaxation, however hopefully we'll get that relaxation in the other places suggested, such as Gananoque/wakefield or Montebello (will have to look into those two, not heard of those before now) which will be more en-route.

phpr - great advice on the travel arrangements - I had no idea about the Canadian holidays - the perks of speaking to you guys! Luckily we aim to travel approx 22nd or 23rd May for about 2 weeks, so should miss that busy travel period.

Alll of you - you've been brilliant in helping me to put together my itinarary, advice that I just wouldn't get any other way, big thankyou!

My New itinarary as it stands today, which is stil open to tweaks if anyone thinks it's needed!:

Toronto 4 nights - day trip to Niagra

Gananoque/Kingston 2 nights

Ottowa 2 nights

Quebec 3 nights

Montreal 3 nights

With a view to looking into Wakefield/Montebello for an option of 1 night or so after Ottowa.

Thanks everyone, you've been great. Please feel free to add anything else if you think of it, it's all gratefully received!

Liz

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

I think that looks pretty good to me. I'd be happy with that. If you get up early and leave Toronto by 8am you can be in Niagara Falls before 10am. You'd have plenty of time to do some activities in the Falls (Maid of the MIst, Journey Behind the Falls etc...)

By 3pm you can go to Niagara-On-The-Lake (you really should go there if you are going to Niagara Falls as it's a really scenic drive along the Niagara River and takes about 20 minutes to get there) and look around (and go on the Jet Boat that departs from N-O-T-L - highly recommended) and then stay and have dinner. You can make it back to Toronto by 9-10pm. It would be a long day but a very nice one.

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
355 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Toronto > Quebec > Montreal - Feedback on itinarary?

Thanks krustytripper, for your final approval :-)

Also your suggestion on the day trip to Niagra Falls sounds fantastic, I'll hope to do as much of that as I can, some great suggestions there, some I hadn't thought of.

Thanks so much!

Liz