We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skateboarding downtown as transportation?

Orange County, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Skateboarding downtown as transportation?

Is skateboarding around town a good or bad idea? I will be in various places in Toronto for 10 days--downtown and westside mostly. I would like to cover a lot of ground and soak in as much as possible visually. Is it illegal to skate on sidewalks? I don't want to bring my skateboard if it's too much of a hassle. Any thoughts?

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skateboarding downtown as transportation?

I have seen many people with skateboards in Toronto. Depending on the area...sometime I see quite a few.....although truthfully I do not know if it is allowed everywhere in the city. Check out this site it has information on skateboarding in Toronto. Possibly if not all the information you require is on that site... it will be a starting point and a place you can probably make some enquiries. Good luck!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skateboarding downtown as transportation?

On the legal front: according to http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/sidewalk.htm , it is illegal to ride skateboard on a sidewalk "without due care and attention and reasonable consideration for others".

Downtown sidewalks can be a little crowded and often have a fair number of obstructions (trees, cracked pavement, restaurant patios), but maybe you consider that part of the fun...