We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

Dubai
Level Contributor
106 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

My wife and I will be visiting Toronto in late June 2013 for a week or so. We reach on 24th early morning and our flight out is at 20.20 hrs on 2nd July 2013.

In between I have booked a night at Embassy Suites at Niagara Falls. on 26th June OUT 27th June.

I am interested in photography, so please advice what to do and where to go from 28th June till 1st. July. We need to be back on 2nd July morning to take the evening flight.

I don't mind traveling by train or renting a car. But keep in mind we are just the 2 of us.

Please advice.

Thanks and regards,

Hussain

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

There is just so much to photograph, urban or rural? Toronto proper has a ton to offer, you can also drive up to Algonquin Park if you like nature....you can also drive out to the 1000 islands, then to Ottawa for Canada day because, IMO, that's the best place in Canada for Canada Day...the drive on the second would be fine, you leave at 7am or so, you can be at Pearson before noon....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

I like td's idea with regard to being in Ottawa for the Canada Day celebrations....which is July 1st, btw, and Ottawa is the Capital city of Canada...............the drive Toronto to Ottawa is approx. 4 1/2 hours, give or take a bit dependant on traffic and is an easy drive along major roads.....you can take the train as well, and use public transit in Ottawa...I'd alot 2 nights for this leg of the trip.........you would have to leave Ottawa on the morning of the 2nd to be back in time for your evening flight......

There are some amazing photo ops in Toronto................take a ferry to the Toronto Islands and explore........not only is it a wonderful day trip, the view of the Toronto skyline from Centre Island is the best there is, and you will definitely want to photograph this.................

Edited: 8:43 am, January 04, 2013
Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

Hamilton is a great city for photography because of its views from the second level of the city and the number of waterfalls. It has a great mix of urban, industrial and nature areas for photography and it is located right smack in the middle of Toronto and Niagara.

http://www.cityofwaterfalls.ca/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

Ottawa for Canada Day is out if "We need to be back on 2nd July morning to take the evening flight." That's too much driving to get back from Ottawa by the morning of July 2nd.

Please let us know what you want to take photos of: urban, rural, wildlife, sunsets.

You can get good photos of the Toronto skyline/shoreline from the ferry to Toronto Island.

toronto.ca/parks/island/ferry-schedule.htm

It may be very busy on the ferry on Canada Day (July 1) so I would try that trip a different day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

If, up to five hours drive, is too much then BEtcrooks is right, but I think the opportunity is worth the bit of hassle....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

I think going to see Ottawa for a couple of days on the last leg of the trip, and taking advantage of the dates to coincide with a Canada Day celebration in the Nation's Capital is a great opportunity.............the OP says his flight is not until 8:20 p.m., July 2nd..........at the end of the day, only he can decide if this will suit .............there are also some amazing photo ops in Ottawa..............the Parliament buildings........with July 1st fireworks!

Edited: 3:41 pm, January 04, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

You can cut down the drive on the 2nd by driving an hour or so to Brockville and staying the night after staying for fireworks in Ottawa...

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

Regional Road 81 between Hamilton and Niagara (AKA old Hwy 8 to the locals) travels along the base of the Niagara Escarpment passes alot of scenic areas that are great for photography. A couple of good side trips along the route are Balls Falls and the 20 Valley near Vineland and the Short Hills area just outside of St. Catharines. The Niagara Parkway between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Fort Erie has a lot of photo opportunities.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

Other worthwhile day trips from Toronto with wonderful photo ops are:

The Forks of the Credit Provincial Park , gorgeous terrain and waterfalls

TheTown of Elora.....................featuring the Elora Gorge

Edited: 10:08 am, January 05, 2013
10. Re: Expert advice needed for Toronto and around.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 07, 2014