We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in toronto in january

Allentown...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weekend in toronto in january

hello,

my boyfriend and i will be traveling to toronto on jan 18-20. we've never been, so looking forward to suggestions! we are in our mid twenties, will be flying in (and taking the metro/subway back from the airport--feasible?) and won't have a car. i think we will be staying downtown. we'd love restaurant and activity recommendations.

thanks!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend in toronto in january

You need to give us an idea of the types of things you like to do and are interested in - sports, museums, galleries, shopping, theatre, typical touristy things, etc.

Also - there are thousands of restaurants in Toronto - giving us an idea of budget, likes & dislikes, is helpful.

To the right of the screen, under Top Questions about Toronto you will see info on getting from Pearson to downtown - the subway is the least expensive. As well there are things to do listed there - take a look.

Allentown...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend in toronto in january

yes, sorry about that!

we'd really love to see the city, so i guess the typical toursity things, that would be good to do in cold weather, since i understand the highs are often below freezing. we currently live in nyc. we're quite open to dinner suggestions, though agian, something authentic canadian would be great. (ive been reading up on peameal bacon!)

thanks!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend in toronto in january

Which airport are you flying into?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend in toronto in january

You can catch a bus that will take you to the subway downtown....the st Lawrence market will be a great place for a peameal on a bun!!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend in toronto in january

You can try Bannock; it's located just outside of the Eaton's Centre and it has Canadian inspired food.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend in toronto in january

Unless you're flying Porter Airlines (or a handful of Air Canada Express flights from Montreal), you'll be landing at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

You can definitely take public transit downtown from there, especially if you don't have a ton of luggage; it's a little slower but very affordable. tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155019-c116016/Toront… explains all the ways to get downtown from the airport, with costs and approximate travel times.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend in toronto in january

Hi traveler..............if you have a meal at Bannock, as suggested in post #5, and you want something "authentic Canadian" you must try the Roast Duck Poutine Pizza................."Poutine" is a Canadian dish, and this is a Bannock version...I promise you, it's delicious, no matter how odd it sounds.....:)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend in toronto in january

I see that some of your visit will fall on a weekend, so you'll want to buy a TTC day pass.....I'm fairly certain the price will be rising to $10.75 for the pass early January, but on the weekends, you and your BF can ride the TTC unlimited times all day long on the one pass for $10.75.........Mon-Fri. that same pass would be $10.75 per person..........f.y.i....the TTC is our public transit system....buses, streetcars/trolleys and subway system...

Toronto
Level Contributor
995 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weekend in toronto in january

Skating at Nathan Phillips Square. If you like museums visit the AGO or ROM, Gardiner Ceramic Musuem - these are all close to Yorkville area where there are lots of restaurants (Ciao Wine Bar or Caryn's are 2). Walk around The Distellery - good restaurant selection here as well. Once you pick a hotel you should be able to walk to a good selection of restaurants...there are tons in all price ranges/varieties. Pub food at the Irish Embassy, or if you like beer you could try to the Bier Markt on the Esplanade, Ki for expensive sushi, are a few restaurants close so the downtwon hotels.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weekend in toronto in january

Second the suggestion for skating at Nathan Phillips.

I would suggest Beer Bistro, C'est What, or even Beer Academy in that same neighbourhood for a more local beer experience.