We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
242 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

We think we may be staying on Simcoe (near University and Richmond) in August. What are some good restaurants in that area that we could go to with our two young sons? (And not just burger-and-fries places--they like to try new things.) Thanks for any suggestions!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Hmmm, not a lot I can think of in the immediate area, I'm afraid. Best to go up to Queen Street take a streetcar (or taxi) west to La Hacienda (Mexican) or Julie's Cuban Restaurant (Dundas and Dovercourt) There is also a good Koran BBQ restaurant at Queen and McCaul area. They might get a kick out of grilling their own food at the table (depending of course, on how young they are) Also Swatow (up on Spadina @ Dundas) is great for Chinese.

Do you have anything in mind you'd like to try?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

>> also a good Koran BBQ restaurant at Queen and McCaul area

You may want to read about them www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php…

BTW these all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ restaurants all over town are HK people owned and operated. i.e. "fusion", to put it nicely

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Hello.

Most children love the Old Spaghetti Factory

Try this link...http://www.oldspaghettifactory.net/home.html

Just a little down on the first page of this site toronto.com/restaurants/…000-212-814.... on the left there is a section called "What's Nearby" and go into the restaurant heading and you will find the most fantastic suggestions with detailed restaurant information for the area you are interested in with maps and links to each partucular restauarant.

Also, most boys enjoy Wayne Gretzsky's Restaurant for more information or to see if this restaurant may be of interest to you and your boys here is a link.

http://www.gretzkys.com/main.html

Hope this helps a little ...Good luck!

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
242 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Thanks for the tips; I plan to check out the toronto.com maps, etc.

I'd read a favorable review of Swatow somewhere else; we'll have to try it.

Is Cafe Diplomatico worthwhile? I've heard it's good for people-watching or eating outside on a nice day, but not sure if the food is good.

The kids might enjoy a Korean BBQ, although at 3 and 5 I'm not sure if they can be trusted to grill their own meat!

I haven't yet definitively reserved our location at 168 Simcoe (it's a condo rental) because I'm hoping to learn more about the area: Are there markets nearby where we could easily get breakfast items, or are there takeout places around? We figure we'll eat breakfast usually in the condo and then head out for sightseeing and lunch, back home for any naps and then out again for dinner. But we can take streetcars or the subway to other areas, obviously.

Sorry to drag this thread out, but do you all have suggestions for not-to-miss attractions for a family like us (in three days time)? My husband and I have seen the CN tower before; perhaps we'll take the kids. I'd like to hit the Ontario Science Center, Kensington market and Chinatown, for sure. Thanks for any additional advice!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Most kids enjoy the Royal Ontario Museum

http://www.rom.on.ca/ There is some information on this site regarding children and the museum

Also here is some more good information on the ROM

toronto.com/attractions/listing/000-100-110

Here is another site about activities in Toronto with kids called Kidding around Toronto.

kiddingaroundtoronto.com/members/eventsCalen…

There is a Imax theatre shaped like a flying saucer about a 40 min drive from Toronto in Vaugh, it is pretty awesome.

localsearch.toronto.com/sp…

Also nearby the Colousis is The Woodbine Shopping Mall. It is a fantastic place for the entire family as there is an indoors Amusement park for childrena dn Mom casn go shopping while Dad brings the kids on the rides in the Mall. We did this countless timess and our daughter just loved it, it is well worth the trip.

http://www.woodbinecentre.ca/

You mentioned the kensington Market there is also the St Lawrence Market which has the freshest food (meat, fruits, veg. bread etc) It is my favorite.

It's at 92 Front Street. Here is a link if you want to check it out

http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/

Also the magazine section at the Worldest Biggest Book store on Edward Street has several magazine type books on what is happening in Toronto. We have often stopped there as soon as we get in the city to pick up a few of these mags/ books and there are a lot of amazing ideas and tips about visiitng Toronto.

Have an enjoyable stay in Toronto whatever it is you decide to do. Best wishes.

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
242 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Wow, thanks so much for all the links! I can't wait to check them out. Maybe we'll do the ROM instead of the Ontatio Science Center. And yes, St.Lawrence Market., too.

I'm really looking forward to our visit. Thanks again!

Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

if you're stayin there, you'll be right in the middle of great food spots...

Korean Grillhouse is right around the corner from where you'd be staying...

your kids might enjoy, watching their own food cooked up... there's only one grill pit so the opportunity to take over the grilling is at your hands.

check out the site:

http://koreangrill.sites.toronto.com/

there's some other good take out 'eats' around the area...

hot spot - hot sandwiches - on richmond st

jerk pit - caribbean food - 2 entrances, from nelson st or adelaide st

burrito boyz - - burritos - on peter st

there's also some pretty good gyro/falafel spots right around the corner too

and there's nothing like toronto street meat - hotdogs.. $1 hotdogs @ queen/spadina

all these spots are within a block from where you're stayin

diplomatico is more or less a diner with italian flavor, in my opinion... it's right in the heart of lil' italy, where there's an abundance of cafes just to sit and 'people watch'

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
242 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

I'm relieved to read that there are all those options close by--thanks! I don't think we'll have a problem finding good food, carryout or eat-in!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Diplomatico, or "the dip" as some locals call it, it good, basic Italian fare. Think checkered table cloths, etc. I usually stick to the pasta if I go there, which is great by the way.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entertainment/Financial District restaurants

Try the Keg steakhouse Richmond and York-very nice, great food and kid friendly