We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Sandy

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Sandy

It's 9:40pm and it's blowing like mad. I do hope everyone stays safe and if anyone has any stories to post, please do. Prayers and best wishes go out to all those along the eastern seaboard who are feeling the wrath.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Sandy

We flew out of New York City and back to Pearson on Saturday night...... only 48 hours ago........everything was up and running in NYC, with no flight cancellations , all public transport a go, nothing unusual....we heard the weather reports every morning as we watched The Today Show from our hotel room and knew what was expected.........what a difference from yesterday when the subways were being closed and flights were being cancelled..........we were incredibly lucky to get out when we did, especially as I had booked our flights and hotel in early September.............La Guardia (where our flights arrived/departed) is now flooded and closed until further notice...................our thoughts and prayers are with everyone being affected by Hurricane Sandy................this "Frankenstorm"

Edited: 11:07 pm, October 29, 2012
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Wow, glad to hear you made it out ok Eden. Just in the knick of time too!

It's 5am now and I've just checked around the house for damage. Thankfully nothing but a few branches down. Not much rain here either. It's still gusty but not as bad as a few hours ago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Sandy

My drive into work was not too bad, better than I expected...people must be staying home to avoid the "wrath"

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Sandy

NCY got it bad, their subway sounds like its "ruined", flooding everywhere.

Its windy here in michigan and a cold light rain coming down, about it.

Washington sounds like its OK, no major flooding.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Thanks krusty..................it's true what you say, that we made it out in the nick of time.....I'm still shaking my head at how lucky we got........who would have expected something like this when I was making travel arrangements early September............I'm glad everything is good around your place......it sounds like most of us are pretty safe, let's hope that continues to be the case :)

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Normally, my 'hood is filled with downed trees after a big storm; the northern area of Toronto, filled with 60 year old maples. However, there were no downed trees on any of my nearby streets today; guess all the ones that were going to break already did!

It was very eerie, however, last night. Coming home late from west end of the city, idiots who think hydroplaning your car at 120kph on the 401 in fierce winds is cool. Ugh. Then I hit an area just to the north of me that was in power outage; so strange to drive down a major street that has NO ambient lighting, all black, no street lights, no stop lights, and no traffic. Just plain weird.

Thankfully...no damages, not power outage at our place. Thoughts go out to the families of the tall ship crew, and the lady who got hit with the flying store sign; that's the stuff that nightmares are made of.

7. Re: Hurricane Sandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 16, 2013