We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good Canadian/American rail company

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
good Canadian/American rail company

Hi everyone,

Can anybody suggest a good Canadian rail company?

I'm going to be in North America next march. I fly into Toronto, then I plan to take the train to Montreal, then Quebec city and then New York. I'm not overly worried about comfort , more just getting a good price with a reliable company.

Thanks,

Hannah

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

There is only one passenger train company in Canada (Via Rail) and one in the US (Amtrak) you can check their websites for prices and schedules. You may have to travel from Quebec City back to Montreal to get to NYC. You may also want to consider bus and air travel as other options.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,101 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

Hi Hannah;

There is only one cross border train into the US, from that part of Canada. It departs from Montreal heading to New York City.

www.VIARail.ca

www.Amtrak.com

Best Regards

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

Thanks heaps for your help.

traveller_yyz do you know of any good bus companies? I looked into flying but it's a lot more expensive

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

My suggestion would be to fly on Porter Airlines from Toronto City Centre Airport to Quebec City if you can work it into your budget as this is a long distance and would likely involve a transfer in Montreal if travelling by bus or train. you could take a bus from Quebec City to Montreal as its a relatively short trip and the busses run frequently and are inexpensive. From Montreal you will be able to take a train or bus to New York City.

Greyhound and Mega Bus are the only two bus companies I know of but there may be others that operate within the province of Quebec.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

The train from Montreal to New York is an extremely long ride; that'd be my choice if you're going to splurge for one flight. (It sounded to me like you'd be making stops between Toronto and Quebec City, which would break up that trip.)

I've answered your bus post (tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k584141…) with some more info about bus services.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

Thanks so much for all your info! I've got a lot more to think about now but I'll check out Porter airlines and mega bus and see what works out best. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a bus at night and sleep on it but who knows if I will or not.

7. Re: good Canadian/American rail company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 20, 2013