We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Currenty

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Currenty

Hi,

I'm arriving in Toronto on Saturday, 9/1. Is it necessary to exchange my US dollars for Canadian Dollars? If so, I know banks typically give the best exchange rates. Are banks open on Saturday in Toronto?

Thanks,

DW

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Currenty

Hi, Danyel W. Welcome to Toronto forum. Yes, it is wise to change your US dollars. Even though you're our biggest trading partner, we do use a different currency system here, so best to change it. Before you head to a bank, please see this very recent thread on this very subject: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k559996…

Yes most of our banks are open on Saturdays, some even open now on Sundays, but from that post, I think the Bank won't give you as good an exchange rate as those smaller currency changers mentioned.

That was a pretty comprehensive post, including the waving of our nationalistic flag about our currency differences. It's a subject that gets a lot of us a little warm around the collar, so don't be surprised if the usual responses come out now. Please take 'em with a grain of salt, and just know that we are a little protective of our Canadian Dollar and understand our showing of national pride LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Currenty

Definitely exchange your money, only because many businesses will discount American currency. Sometimes as high as 20%-40%. So it's not worth paying in US dollars.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Currenty

Yes, it would be advantageous for you if you paid in Canadian $'s..........

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Currenty

Thank you for your answers. It seems I should use an ATM or go to Guardian Exchange at Dundas square.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Currenty

Even if you did pay in US $'s you would receive the change in Canadian. Any pop machine, parking meter etc will require Canadian coins.

When in Rome you do as the Romans do.. I would never think of being in US & trying to use Canadian money. In fact the odd time a Canadian coin gets into my change I have had it handed back to me saying Canadian coins can't be accepted period. I'm talking pennies, nickles, dimes & quarters.

Ask your bank which Canadian ATM's are compatible with them then withdraw say a couple of hundred dollars & use your credit card for other purchases.

Don't forget to tell your bank & credit card provider you will be traveling, you don't want your cards frozen while on holidays.

Have a fun vacation & enjoy spending our colourful money!

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
6. Re: Canadian Currenty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, December 15, 2013