We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

Hi

We have never been to Canada before, however, we are a middle-aged couple looking for a 5-night break end of January beginning February 2007.

We like places on comparison to New York, Chicago etc anyone have any idea's which part of Canada we should consider please?

Thanks

Ben

London, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

I have been to Toronto during the summer of last year for two weeks. Niagara Falls is brilliant. Toronto is a laid back place. It is not New York or London. The people are nice and there are some nice fresh water beaches around. I think Toronto is more a city for relaxation. It is not a fast paced city if that is what you are looking for. And if you do go there, be prepared to taste some really bad coffee especially if it is timhortons. Stick to tea.

UK
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

Hi

Thanks for the reply

We are looking for a fast paced type of place within Canada, somewhere compared to London - New York etc.

Anyone know about Montreal?

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

the 3 largest centres in canada are montreal, toronto and vanouver...

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

Toronto would be the fastest paced city, Montreal is smaller with lots happening and more like a European town. Vancouver would be the most laid-back of the 3 but is a beautiful place to visit.

If this makes a difference, in February Montreal will be the coldest, Toronto next and Vancouver the warmest.(usually, that is)

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

You won't find a face pace city in Canada. If you come during Jan/Feb...since the temperature will be quite cold, you won't see alot of people going outdoor.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

I'd definitely say Toronto is what you're looking for, although, not as busy as the American cities. It will be particularly empty in Jan / Feb as it is often about -10 celsius at that time of year, and we are all hibernating :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

What2Do: Hey, I've had coffee in a lot of places in Toronto and other countries and I happen to like Tim Horton's coffee. Of all the coffee shops around, I think Tim Horton is the best of the lot. I'm not speaking of gourmet coffee or espresso, just coffee shop

variety. My opinion.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

Maybe we should start a thread on favourite coffee/coffee shops in town. That would be a good one, no?

UK
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

Thanks everyone for your advicee.

Looks like Toronto it is

Ben

England
Level Contributor
200 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Advice Please-Not Sure Where To Choose

I have fond memories of Tim Horton's. Okay coffee not best in the world but Tim Horton's are very welcome when you have been on the road for hours. My Canadian friends love them and looking for a Tim Horton's in Ontario, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia is ingrained in my holiday memories!