We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Its Canada's biggest hotel apparently, but so many reviews complain about it not being maintained properly. Whats going on with this place, why is it being allowed to deteriate so badly ?.

Are the owners simply refusing to spend money on the hotel, or can the company not afford to maintain it ?.

I am quite happy to stay here regardless, & have cancelled my booking at the Isabella hotel (following more bad reviews) & changed to here for virtually the same price through Expedia's secret hotel booking service.

Just curious as to why the hotel is apparently being allowed to become more & more run-down.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

There's a new Delta hotel under construction next to the Convention Centre's south building. There's speculation that "something" will happen to the Delta Chelsea (major reno, rebranding, etc.) once the new Delta opens, but as far as I can tell that's just speculation.

The Delta Chelsea is owned by Great Eagle Hotels of Hong Kong (greateagle.com.hk/html/eng/our_businesses/ho…). Most of their hotels are a fair bit fancier, so I don't think it's a question of whether the owner can afford it.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

I believe the guests play a role. I stayed there once and for the price and more so the location it was fine, one evening around 11 pm you could hear some partying going throughout my room floor. I believe I got back by 3 and all was peaceful.

Would stay there again thou if the price was right, the location I loved

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Jayne,

That is an interesting question you have. I have often wondered myself how a top rated hotel (anywhere really) can go from lovely to run down. I don't know the answer to your question other than to wonder if it is money related, as I am sure it must take a lot of money to maintain a hotel. I think in some cases it might be a viscous circle ...hotel needs work, perhaps accommodations are down at any given time, for any number of reasons and the hotel can't keep ahead of what needs to be done.

As far as the Chelsea specifically, I definitely noticed a huge change in the hotel. Having stayed at many hotels in Toronto over the years (and quite frequently I might add) here is my perspective about the Delta Chelsea. From what I can remember the hotel started deteriorating about twelve or so years ago. In the 1990's we stayed at the Chelsea many, many times and enjoyed it for the most part. I remember during one of our stays in 2000 is when I really noticed a change in the hotel. Rugs buckling, wall paper frayed, bedding run down, rooms lost their sparkle and so forth. Over a decade ago the Chelsea lost it's spot from being one of the top rated hotels in the city. The hotel slowly started to deteriorate over the years to the point where I didn't want to stay there any more. It's really unfortunate as the Chelsea had a really good vibe to it and had more amenities than a lot of hotels. In saying all this I am not trying to discourage anyone from staying there and I admit I am very picky about hotels. But I think it's good for visitors to know what all hotels are like before they book, that way there are no surprises.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Some interesting replies. Perhaps it is a question of the hotel group keeping the hotel running on a minimum budget, whilst waiting for a major refurbishment to take place at some point in the future ?. Once the downward spiral starts however, the further it progresses, the more difficult it must be to reverse it

Obviously peoples expectations come into play whenever reviews are made as well, and an increasing number of poorer reviews does create concerns & put people off.

Unlike my original booking at Isabella, I am really looking forward to staying at the Delta Chelsea, the latest review (7 July) makes the anticipation even better.

The Delta Chelsea made me think of a hotel I stayed at in Kuala Lumpur this year (Istana), which is why I made the opening post. A really good looking luxurious hotel, the public spaces were superb, but the actual rooms themselves really let the hotel down, & left the hotel in what I feel a similar position to the Delta Chelsea..

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my stay & will post a review in due course. Always good to hear others opinions.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Jayne.

I hope you will post a review after your stay at the Chelsea. I will be very interested to read what your experience there will be like.

Best wishes.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

I stayed at the Sheraton, Intercontinental, the Hyatt on King st--not the big fancy one but the one by all the nightclubs. The Delta was the most "run down" hotel of them all but I really had no complaints and the location was better for me.

I still say the guest play a role. You can only clean up so much after so many guests. If the guest want to act like its a big house party what can the hotel do ? My room was clean and bathroom wasn't so fancy but I seen far worst and if I could get the hotel for under $100 a night, I stay there again

Canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

As a recent Delta Chelsea guest, I'll chime in. We stayed there for two nights at the end of June.

Prior to booking, I'd read some less than favourable reviews but we took a chance because the price was perfect ~ $89/night on Expedia.

Everything in our room (1545) was in respectable, functioning order and we had no complaints whatsoever. We were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was quite busy because it was Canada Day weekend/pride parade weekend. However, we didn't hear any hall noise or disturbances either night and I'm a light sleeper.

My request for an early check-in was honoured without hesitation. We arrived by train and walked to the hotel. We had our room key by 10:30 a.m.

Based on our experience, I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The hotel's proximity to many downtown facilities provides you with a lot of punch for a mere $89.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Pleased you had a great stay CarribeanDiva, I'm assuming mine will be just as good. The location of the hotel is excellent,

I got 4 nights for about $355 / $83 a night, also through Expedias secret hotel booking service.

Canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

jaynewcastle,

I booked through Expedia but it wasn't a secret hotel.

Based on our experience, I'm sure you'll be very pleased. If you get a room that's not up to par, as for 1545.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Delta Chelsea hotel not being maintained properly ?

Here's my review of the Delta, I was pretty happy with it, apart from the lack of fridge & safety box in the room, and would be happy to stay here again in the future.

I enjoyed my 4 night stay at the Delta. The hotel location is excellent & the room was clean & comfortable. Having joined the Privilege scheme for free, check-in/out was at a seperate desk where I didn't have to wait at all. The rest of the lobby was always busy & noisy, due to the sheer number of guests at the hotel each day.

Not sure how some people have problems with the lifts, as you're told which 1 of the 3 banks of lifts service your floor, & they're the ones you use, its really that simple. The wait for a lift was never too long, despite the size of the hotel & number of guests.

My room was on the 23rd floor, but disappointingly had a north view facing the construction work, which began at 6:30am (as soon as it got light basically), rather than a downtown view. I had 2 large single beds in the room rather than the expected double bed, which seemed strange for a single occupier. The beds were extremely comfortable however. The TV was huge & old but I never actually used it.

Room was an un-refurbished one (had to check), as it was perfectly clean & comfortable & all I wanted really, apart from the lack of fridge & room safe obviously ( which are known problems here). An expensive hotel really has to provide both of these to its guests. The hotel was unable to provide me with a safety box downstairs, as they had no keys for the large empty ones. The internet connection in the room worked perfectly during my stay.

I was concerned about noise on the 1st night when I was woken a few times by people passing by down the corrider talking loudly, and especially when I could hear the person next door arriving & hanging things in the wardrobe at 12:30am, walls so thin !!. Luckily, the rest of the stay was fairly noise-free, though you always get the few idiots in any hotel who talk loudly as they walk around, or let the doors slam shut at all times of the day.

All the staff I spoke to during my stay were very friendly & helpful, especially the cleaning staff. I would recommend the hotel, & if I ever came back to Toronto again, would certainly consider staying here again.