We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

Hello,

We are family of 4 taking tour from Toronto and to visit all important places in Quebec, new brunswick, nova scotia,prince edward island, newfoundland and labrador and retruning back to toronto. time during 2nd week of May 2012.

Mode of transport by Car. Can any one advice how this tour can be planned well to cover the important sight seeing place? kids are 14year and 2year.

Thanks-Joe

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

It's a little quick, but there is the hour time change from new Brunswick to Quebec...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

But they were going east, so the time change was against them. Getting there by 6:30 am local time would therefore mean a 7.5 hour trip, totally impossible I think. Maybe they meant 6:30 am two days later?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

Forgot about the time change. My husband and I were talking at lunch about what she said and he heard the same times and we should have questioned her more. It is impossible!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

We are planning to go to Canada from England in May / June next year - We will go to Toronto at some point to visit relatives for maybe 5 days but then will have 3 weeks to explore - this is really interesting.

Considered hiring a RV/Motor home

All advise on planning this trip would be amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

AdrianAnita you probably should start a new thread describing what you would like to do. You've added this to a very old thread.

If you have a short time (3 weeks) to explore, I would NOT suggest driving to the East coast. You'll lost 2 days each way just driving along major highways with almost nothing to see. (I drive down east every second year.) It would be much more sensible to fly east, perhaps to Halifax, and then start touring. You'd get to see many of the best sites on the east coast in Nova Scotia, PEI and the NS side of New Brunswick, without wasting so much time on interprovincial highways. If you could fly in to Toronto and home from Halifax you would save even more time for touring.

RVs are incredibly expensive with gasoline prices so high. I wouldn't do it myself.

May and June are not the best months for the Maritimes. If you had a choice, you'd do better to plan Aug/Sept. It takes time for the ocean to warm up and to stop chilling the land. Also, most of the Maritimes tourist attractions don't get up to full gear till July.

I hope you have good luck with your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Arnhem, The...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

We rented an RV this year and travelled from Toronto to Halifax. We had a great time and visite Toronto, Niagara, 1000 Islands, Ottawa, Quebec City, Maine, Acadia NP, Bay of Fundy and Halifax, it is in Dutch but maybe you can check out our travel journal:

http://reisoostcanada.blogspot.nl/

Fuel prices maybe high for Canadians, but still incredibly cheap for us Dutchmen!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

Thank you so much this is really helpful.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

Would you feel comfortable renting an RV and driving it on the opposite side of the road to what you are used to?

If so, I would consider just travelling around Ontario. It is a huge province. Look on a map and find Thunder Bay (on Lake Superior) in relation to Toronto. That drive can take 2 days...18 hours of driving. But it's a beautiful drive, some of which is alongside Lake Superior. Look again at the map and you will see how much further north you could still drive! Ontario is a big place! Travel to Niagara Falls, Ontario and stay a few days. There's a lot to see and do there. Drive a few hours north up hwy 11 or 400 and see cottage country...Muskoka and Haliburton. Rent a cottage for a week on one of our beautiful lakes. Travel to Ottawa and see our nation's capital. And then there is Toronto with many, many things to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay District, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Muskoka District
Muskoka District
Ontario, Canada
Haliburton
Haliburton
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

i will certainly get the map out and have a look at your suggestions. We are used to driving on the opposite side of the road as we tour with a caravan on holidays through Europe. Renting seems a better option though as someone has pointed out the price of gas. So maybe a car and renting may be the best way forward

20. Re: Tour Eastern CANADA 16 days by road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 17, 2013