We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More help please....

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
More help please....

It's me again. Can any one advise me whether there is an outdoor swimming pool/resort in Toronto?

I've never been to Canada and have been advised that the weather will be hot in August (18-31st). As my 11 yr old loves swimming, it is inevitable we will be frequenting a pool or 2 and I'd prefer not to be inside missing the good weather!

We're also planning to visit Niagara Falls, would any one know if there's similar facilities there?

Thanks.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More help please....

In Toronto Radison Plaza Hotel Admiral; Crowne Plaza; Four Seasons; Holiday Inn on King; Best Western Primrose all list outdoor pools. In Niagara Falls Quality Inn Clifton Hill; both EconoLodges; Rodeway Inn; many others. And yes you can probably expect it to be hot in August, hot enough to swim outdoors. Toronto also has beaches and the lake is usually swimable.

Have a good time.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More help please....

Thank you your reply was very helpful.

What are the beaches like in Toronto?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More help please....

I wouldn't depend on the beaches. I can remember many recent summers with the beaches too polluted for swimming at times and being shut down.

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More help please....

To have a “guaranteed swimming” beach, you pretty well have to go out of Toronto – minimum 1 hour drive(?) That being said, the Island *may* be more reliable than other Toronto-Lake Ontario beaches, and is a fun outing in any case.

See here: http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/index.htm

In Toronto itself, during a hot August, any place with water will be *busy*, LOL, but here are two outdoor options. Unfortunately, I don’t think either is very easy to get to unless you’re driving – but a poster living in Toronto may have a different view:

Sunnyside [Gus Ryder] Pool (or others as shown) – might phone #’s somewhere on the site

www.toronto.ca/parks/openingpools2005.htm (probably will update for 2006 by June)

-- This is a bit of a landmark, since it was part of a beach/amusement area almost from the beginning of Toronto’s history. However, only the pool is left and, as a pool, it isn’t anything special – although it is right next to Lake Ontario and there is a walking path, food stalls and, I *think*, the Sunnyside Beach Café.

Ontario Place – a whole day (or perhaps afternoon & evening) outing to make cost-effective

http://www.ontarioplace.com/

2006 prices are not yet posted, but it will let you know all of what’s available – besides the Splash Park :-) – with, perhaps, fireworks in the evening if it’s just the right time of the summer.

Hope you & your child has a wonderful trip!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More help please....

Although it's true that Toronto beaches sometimes are closed to swimmers because of summer water pollution, swimming probably will be possible during your visit.

Our beaches got a bad name because of pollution during the 80s and 90s, but the city has made great strides in improving water quality since then. In fact, some of Toronto's beaches now boast Blue Flag designations. Beach closures typically occur in the days immediately after thunderstorms, when storm sewers become overtaxed by heavy downpours.

The best source of information about city beaches, and those featuring the Blue Flag designation, is the following website: http://www.torontobeach.ca/

The website not only provides directions on how to reach all the beaches by public transit but, during the summer months, gives up-to-date information on water quality testing and any beach closures or swimming restrictions.

Toronto's eastern beaches area at Woodbine Avenue and Queen Street East (in the neighbourhood known locally as both The Beach and The Beaches) is well worth a visit. It offers an extensive park and tree-shaded boardwalk along the waterfront, as well as the large D.D. Summerville outdoor public swimming pool.

Your 11-year-old also might enjoy a visit to the Toronto Islands, not just for its beaches, but also for its parks and recreation facilities. The ferry ride from Harbourfront to the Islands is especially fun, and offers a spectacular view of the city skyline.

The Ontario Place Splash Park that someone else mentioned would be a good alternative for entertaining your child, as would the huge water park at Paramount Canada's Wonderland north of the city.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: More help please....

Not sure how to get there, but Wild Water Kingdom is supposed to be good to spend a few hours there...

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More help please....

Thank you for your help, we are planning to go to Paramount Canada's Wonderland, but I didn't realise there was a waterpark there too.

How many days would you say we would be likely to spend here? (say, 1 day for the theme park, 1 day water park?)

Thanks again.........

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More help please....

donnyb has a thorough and accurate post. I myself swim at a beach on Toronto Island(s. The ferry trip across and back is high on my list of most overlooked things for a visitor to the city to do.