We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip - Toronto to Florida

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip - Toronto to Florida

Hi,

We're about to do this (first time!) - We have 15 days in total and will be driving over 3 days (both ways) so that we are driving for about 8 hours a day. That allows for a couple of stops as well as any delays due to weather or construction. We have two teenage kids so while I've got the ps3 and dvd setup for the rear seats, I think a a short stop every 2 hours or so should be good.

My main concern is winter driving and have hence chosen to go via I-75 all the way. This seems to add a few hours to the trip, but from what I can gather, is probably a safer bet than via Buffalo.

I'm going to keep the snow tires on and have got a copy of Along the I75.

Any tips, suggestions would be highly appreciated.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

You might get better advice if you post this on the Road Trips forum. Here is the link:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trip…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

Though I have not experienced it myself.........I've been told by someone who makes this trip every year that snow tires are a nono down south...the one time we drove to Florida in March we did not have snow tires.....the Road trip forum sounds like a good place to check....

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
332 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

I would just do the drive straight through in 24 hours and then have the extra days of my vacation in Florida. You will not need snow tires on I-75. We have done this, and friends have done this many times.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

1) Your route along I-75 is NOT "hours longer"-popular myth. It does have help available (or hotel) at almost EVERY exit contrary to the route through Buffalo. Generally the route is also better weather-wise.

2) Time your drive through Atlanta so that you are NOT travelling through there during rush hours-use the route through the middle of Atlanta and NOT the Bypass which is much longer (unless you are made aware of an accident to avoid)

3)Time your drive for daytime through the mountainous areas of Kentucky and Tennessee-some of it can be quite foggy at night (they may close it in one area if particularly bad).

4) Do take the Macon bypass (south of Atlanta) as it will cut some time off your trip.

5) You don't say where you are going in Florida which could possible affect your route as you travel south...

6) I would try to do the trip in 2 days-your halfway point is approximately Corbin, Kentucky- a lot depends on the drivers' skill, age and health though. (Halfway point to Tampa)

7) I don't have winter tires but do have four wheel drive-I am comfortable with this but this is personal preference.

8) Me- I am doing the route in February-I will leave at approx midnight-drive through the night-catch a quick rest or two at rest stops-continue through to just north of Atlanta (Cartersville or Kennesaw) by about 4-5 Pm, leave EARLY the next morning to get through Atlanta by 6Am-be at my destination by 2Pm. Ienjoy driving however and my timing is contingent upon the weather.

9) I have made my reservation already for my one stop-I find the longer you wait-the price goes up. Make sure you can cancel your reservation prior to 6Pm the same day without penalty in case of bad weather, etc. Join a hotel loyalty club-it's free and with time you can secure free nights.

Be safe, watch the speedometer-particularly in Ohio and Georgia-and always STOP if the driver is tired.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

Hello,

I would think that having your snow tires on in the warmer states would be quite bad for your tires!

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

And for your safety as well. Any winter tires are not good on wet surface when the temperature is above 15F (-4C).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

My family use drive through Detroit route, much flater boring drive, but safer....when are u going? I'd avoid the snow tires because the tread will just get eaten alive starting most likely anywhere south of Kentucky....my dad would drive from Barrie to Chattanooga, TN on the first day (all day light driving almost---except the morning)...we'd get to Daytona Beach comfortably by 2 pm the next day..might consider this to give yourself an extra two days on your trip...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

Darn....old post!

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

No Problem. )))

Drove our 2006 Murano AWD 3 times South to Florida just before Christmas holidays and back after staying their for about 2-3 weeks. The tires were original stock all-season Goodyear tires, rated as 'Snow and Mud'. Two times on separate trips we went through snow storms. The first was pretty heavy on our way back home to Toronto. That was on a final stretch along the lakes. I made a mistake by taking the longest way trying to avoid the mountains. That's why the long way along the lake. We saw many cars rested in a ditch or on median hitting a barrier. Among them I mentioned several big Lexus V8 SUVs. Later I learned from other travelers that the weather was pretty fine in the mountains at that time.

During last winter season ( '11/ '12) my SUV had a set of new 'Snow and Mud' Michelin's, but at that time on our way we did not face any snow at all.

Edited: 10:27 pm, October 05, 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip - Toronto to Florida

Planing our trip South. Haven't decided yet when to leave (on Fr. Dec. the 21st, or 22nd). Three adults (drivers) and one kid.