We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Chinatown

Taking a 17 year old from Quebec to Chinatown today - where's the best spots to take her? Best shops? Best restaurants? Most unique places?

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
30 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown

Restos - Swatow for Chinese, Pho Hung for Vietnamese, place immediately South of Pho Hung for seafood.

Also visit mall at SW corner of Dundas and Spadina for shopping experience.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown

if you want genuine Chinese food (where the patrons are mainly Chinese, as opposed to Asians and Caucasians)

Dim Sum:

Dragon Dynasty on top floor of SW corner of Dundas/Spadina, where dim sum is wheeled out on carts

Bright Pearl 1 block north, more pricey but same "ambiance" but more popular with caucasians

Rol San across the street from Bright Pearl, cheap, order from menu sheet, extremely busy and chaotic while waiting in line

Gold Leaf just south of Swatow mentioned in the above post, small and more upscale

Northern Chinese:

Asian Legend, soup-filled dumplings, noodles. Once saw Toronto's Susur Lee(his own restaurant features $120 tasting menu) having lunch here

Congee/Noodle/hanging birds: Gold Stone, 1 block south east of Spadina/Dundas, no tipping required

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown

Don't forget to go through Kensington Market too! She might like all the vintage clothing spots.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown

2 major shopping "malls" on west side Spadina south of Dundas. One at the corner is quite small and not much in there (but Dragon Dynasty Dim Sum restaurant is there). The larger one is about 2-3 blocks south, quite big, with various stores inside.

There are the big supermarkets on the east side of Spadina selling live fish, exotic fruits and vegetables. Then there are also a few dried seafood and herbal medicine shops on Dundas east of Spadina.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown

Gosh why do people want to shop in Chinatown? I only go there for grocery or cheap eat or get my discounted phone-card. Other than that, I find it getting worse, very dirty and very crappy...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown

frankly you don't have to go to Chinatown for grocery/cheap eat or cheap calling cards. Same things can be had in other GTA locations with free parking and public transit access.

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown

to me china town is not the malls but the street stalls along spadina and dundas...its like window shopping without the windows...

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown

Chinatown can be a lot of fun to walk around and find cheap little stores filled with junk. But the weather this time of year really takes away from that fun. Regardless...you should know that not all establishments in Chinatown are "Chinese" per say. I recommend a wonderful vietnemese restaurant on the corner of Spadina and College called "Saigon Palace", its' clean, friendly and the food is far better than PhoHung in my opinion. A couple of doors down from Saigon Palace are some great little stores filled with junk, and a bar called The Red Room, also fun. I recommend that you travel one block west of Spadina and check out all the super cool shops on August Ave. this area is called Kensington Market and there are so many great shops and cafes that i couldnt possibly mention them all.