We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to visit in Toronto

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
244 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
What to visit in Toronto

I am visiting Toronto, with my husband, in June for the first time. We do not enjoy Art Galleries or too much shopping. Any ideas on places us Brits should visit.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Petroff Gallery
Gift & Specialty Shops, Art Galleries, Art Museums
Brookfield Place
Art Galleries, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to visit in Toronto

Depends on what you ARE in to.

My favourite spots are Kensington Market (a real cosmopolitan place, shows the diversity of Toronto) but some people might not like it because it's a bit run down and smelly (fish) in spots (think a smaller, more condensed Camden Town in London)

Also St. Lawrence Market is great too, more upscale, but equally cosmopolitan (think Covent Garden, but much better!)

There's the usual tourist spots like the CN Tower and Skydome.

Any specifics, let me know.

Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
London
London
Ontario, Canada
St. Lawrence Market
St. Lawrence Market
10,967 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
CN Tower
CN Tower
19,913 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Aberdeen,UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to visit in Toronto

go to the olympic spirit museum, its really good with interactive olympic exhibits. if you get a chance go to the baseball at the skydome, i went last year , once with my girlfriend then once without, as she was off shopping, i bought tickets at the box office for ��4.50.

hudson bay is the ultimate shopping experience in toronto for us brits, what with the exchange rate.

you should see if the ex or ontario place is open they are ace too.

go on one of the hop on/off tours a great way to get around and choose what to go and see.

and believe me...go to Armadillos resteraunt on front street, it is honestly the best resteraunt i have been to anywhere in the world. period.

Toronto
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to visit in Toronto

the usuals, cn tower, niagara falls/niagara on the lake, casa loma, the water front area is beautiful, centre island, the beach area...

strolling around the yorkville area (downtown) ..you can people watch..have a great dinner/drink...

muskoka is beautiful..but that is about a 3 hrs drive...well worth it if you have the time to spend a weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkville
Yorkville
643 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to visit in Toronto

Beachers

You're getting some great advice.

Just to clarify, the "ex" that Chaz refers to is the Canadian National Exhibition. That's open the last 2 wks in Aug.

There's several Hudson Bay Dept store locations aka "The Bay". The main one is at the corner of Queen St and Yonge St ... so right downtown. That's connected to the Eaton's Centre - a big shopping mall downtown.

Since you mentioned you prefer to minimize shopping, you should see the Eaton Centre.

Just west of the Eaton Ctr is City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square, which has a great fountain. It's worth your time to have a quick look at the city hall lobby as well. Very popular with tour groups.

Mentioned in this post
Nathan Phillips Square
Nathan Phillips Square
773 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to visit in Toronto

THEATRE!! OH MY !!! Lots of top rated quality productions!! If your so inclined.... Search " Mirvish Productions ", or look at www.ticketking.com for current and upcoming shows!!!

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
244 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to visit in Toronto

Thank you all very much for your help. Hope the weather in June is OK. Will definitely try the restaurants suggested. I can see that I will have a busy two weeks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to visit in Toronto

If you are in to sports at all you can visit the NHL Hall of Fame as well as a Blue Jays baseball game at the skydome.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to visit in Toronto

If you enjoy exploring a new city on foot, you'll have a great time in Toronto in June. The weather is usually excellent -- warm and sunny, but not yet too humid -- and Toronto is a terrific city to walk around. And since you're coming for two weeks, you'll have more than enough time to see everything there is to see.

I'd suggest you take a Gray Line "hop on, hop off" bus tour of the city early in your visit to get your bearings and catch a quick glimpse of the various interesting neighbourhoods in the downtown area that you might want to explore at greater length. For more information on these popular tours, check out: grayline.ca/tours/pages/graylineca/graylinec…

If you plan a series of walking tours, you can see or visit most of the attractions that people have mentioned in their replies to your posting. For instance:

1) A walk along Front Street will take you to the St Lawrence Market (best day to visit there is Saturday), past the Hockey Hall of Fame, and on to the CN Tower and SkyDome.

2) A walk up Spadina Avenue will let you explore one of Toronto's Chinatown districts, as well as the Kensington Market. You could then stroll west on College Street, from Spadina, to take in Little Italy.

3) A ride east on the Queen Street streetcar will take you to the charming Beach neighbourhood and give you an opportunity to stroll the boardwalk, beaches and parks along Lake Ontario.

4) The Harbourfront area that extends from the foot of Yonge Street to beyond Spadina Avenue is definitely worth a visit. I also recommend taking a ferry ride over to the Toronto Islands. The islands offer many great spots for picnics or relaxing on a beach on a nice day, as well as excellent views of the Toronto skyline.

5) A visit to Dundas Square, at the intersection of Yonge and Dundas Streets, will let you check out the Eaton Centre as well as the new Olympic Spirit facility. This area is still under development, but is going to become Toronto's version of New York's Times Square when all the construction is completed in 2006 (it's already chockablock full of giant electronic billboards; there often are concert performances, exhibits of some kind, or other activities taking place on the Square itself during the summer months.)

6) A walk along Toronto's trendy Queen Street West, from City Hall & Nathan Phillips Square, to well past Bathurst St, is always fun. This stretch of Queen Street also takes you past Chinatown and into Toronto's "fashion district," and is only one block away from Toronto's "entertainment district," which occupies a large area between Queen and King Streets on the north & south, and University and Spadina Avenues on the east and west. That's an area packed with restaurants, nightclubs and shops as well as the huge Paramount cinema complex, which is a good spot to visit on a rainy day.

7) The Yorkville neighbourhood is home to some of the city's most exclusive fashion design boutiques, as well as dozens of restaurants, bars, art galleries, shops and the Royal Ontario Museum.

8) The stretch of Danforth Avenue from Broadview Ave to Pape Ave is home to Toronto's famous "Greektown" area, and is easily reached by subway. (All of the areas I've mentioned are along subway or streetcar routes, so if walking a lot doesn't appeal to you, all the neighbourhoods are very easily reached by public transit).

Even if you did all of the above walks, you'd still have plenty of time left over during a two-week visit. As others have suggested, I strongly recommend taking a day trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake. Bus tours to both are available; if you were to rent a car, I strongly recommend taking the scenic Niagara Parkway drive between Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake. It's a gorgeous, park-lined two-lane highway that offers scenic lookout points of the Niagara gorge and river, as well as plenty of nice places to stop for a picnic. This route also takes you past a Butterfly Conservatory and a botanical garden, as well as past many of Ontario's famous wineries (if you're a wine afficionado, there are plenty of winery tours available).

Another suggestion: take a couple of days to visit Montreal. There is excellent downtown-to-downtown train service between the two cities, and Montreal is a very fun city to explore on foot in the summer.

I hope these suggestions help, and I hope you have a wonderful visit to Toronto!

Cheers, D

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
St. Lawrence Market
St. Lawrence Market
10,967 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Hockey Hall of Fame
Hockey Hall of Fame
3,357 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
CN Tower
CN Tower
19,913 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Spadina Avenue
Spadina Avenue
122 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
College Street
College Street
13 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Queen Street
Queen Street
570 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario
750 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Yonge Street
Yonge Street
853 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto Islands
Toronto Islands
5,980 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Nathan Phillips Square
Nathan Phillips Square
773 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Yorkville
Yorkville
643 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum
6,956 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
The Broadview Hotel
The Broadview Hotel
49 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
707 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Parkway
Niagara Parkway
56 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Windsor ON
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: What to visit in Toronto

Hey it's been a few years, but I LOVED the ROM ( Royal Ontaio Museum) and the Ontario Science Center, lots of on hand activities and great exhibits, also if your going to be traveling in the summer, Ontario Place is nice small family oriented park with some rides, 3D movies and thing like such. Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Ontario Place
Ontario Place
157 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
244 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to visit in Toronto

Message for donnyb

Thank you for all the wonderful info on Toronto. I have printed to take with me and I am sure we will have a great time. Will try to fit in Montreal as well.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada